Hook removal from self

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke22

Hook removal from self

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Posting this up in case anyone finds there self in the predicament I came to face Saturday. I’ve fished pretty much my entire life (46 years) and have never buried a hook in myself. Been extremely lucky cause I’ve had several close calls. Well it finally happened yesterday. I caught a short red that inhaled my Redfin. While digging the lure out he shook his head and I lost grip and whamo! Crazy thing was I knew it was about to happen, just synced it. Buried into my knuckle. Once I cut the hook free of the lure and the other two from the treble I prepared myself to free it. I’ve seen many videos of the “snatch” method and to pull it on through and cut the barb and back out method. I figured the snatch would be best since it was quick and hopefully painless. While psyching myself up I figured I better watch that video again to make sure I was doing it correctly. When I searched for the video on my phone I saw a headline of a painless method that I’ve never seen before. Put ice on it for 15-20 minutes until it’s almost froze and numb and it should pull right out. I was skeptical. I got ice out the cooler and held it on it for about 10 minutes and it went numb. So I figured we would just snatch it out since I couldn’t really feel any pain. Partner tied braid to the hook and I put pressure down on the hook and was about to yell “snatch it” and the damn hook literally just fell out! I don’t know what the ice did but it worked. Absolutely no pain at all. I was amazed. It did bleed like a stuck pig. Lol Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
slow motion

Re: Hook removal from self

Post by slow motion »

That pic hurts me to look at. Glad you found a painless way and thank you sir for sharing your experience. I have wondered if the extraction of a circle hook is any different than a j hook.
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

Good information. I hope I never have to use it but it is still good information. My finger started throbbing just looking at the picture.
STMU

Post by STMU »

Glad it came out well. Been there a few times, not fun. Hope you're up to date on your tetanus shot!
bman

Post by bman »

Sounds like a great option! And that hurts just looking at it!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the tip. Will try that next time. I buried a treble hook point in my knuckle while fishing solo. Spanish mack was the culprit. Squeezed it to death to keep from thrashing and then used a new knife to cut an X around the entry and pulled it loose. The ice method sounds much better.

I do carry a small bottle of wound cleanser/antiseptic in my boat box. And I'm extra careful about my rowdy four-legged first mate who likes to get right in the middle of the action.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Doing it once has to be the record for least amount of times lol I’ve done it many times! Once when I wasn’t even fishing! And once I managed to get 5 of 6 barbs stuck. I sure could have used some ice that day lol!
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

I've had to do the snatch method....
big ol hook...
Looped line around the shank...
Buddy yanked on two instead of three...
surprizingly painless with just a little drop of blood...
I was amazed!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Good to know! It’s most likely gonna happen to us all eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk