Does anyone know how to fix a sticky Shimano T-handle?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DKwakulla

Does anyone know how to fix a sticky Shimano T-handle?

Post by DKwakulla »

Does anyone know how to fix these shimano t handles that get sticky and hard to turn? It’s riveted on. I’ve tried soaking in various solvents, spinning it with a drill while dripping oil in, everything I can think of. It’s off a Shimano Saros 4000

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Does anyone know how to fix a sticky Shimano T-handle?

Post by silverking »

Sounds like you've tried most options. You might give Shimano Service a call. They may have another solution. They also sell replacements.

877-577-0600

Hopefully FishnFool (Reel Repairs by Jim) will see this and have another suggestion.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

Try that calcium stuff people use on shower heads. Forgot the name of it. Then uses really hot water to rinse it. Sometimes it's just a buildup of salt and minerals and oil does noting to fix it.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

tailwaters wrote: December 21st, 2020, 9:29 am Try that calcium stuff people use on shower heads. Forgot the name of it. Then uses really hot water to rinse it. Sometimes it's just a buildup of salt and minerals and oil does noting to fix it.
CLR ?
DKwakulla

Post by DKwakulla »

I'm trying the CLR. I was initially a little wary of going too far up the PH scale on solvents. If that don't work, I'm buying another Okuma :)
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I have a closet full of Shimano spinners, many of them several to many years old. None of them have sticky handles. I rinse them with salt away and fresh water from the hose after each trip and keep them inside the house. Perhaps you have a bad handle or your care of that particular reel was lacking? If it's later I doubt that switching brands will help in the long run.

I'll bet Jim the reel repair guy has an old one that might work for you. He is on here somewhere.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I probably have a handle assembly that will fit the reel if needed. As far as making the knob spin more freely, I have a couple of tricks that I use.
Is it a Saros 4000F or a 4000FA?
If it is a 4000F you should be able to remove the nut and pull the knob off to clean and relube it. (sometimes the bearing needs to be replaced)
If it is a 4000FA you can fill the hole under the knob cover with reel oil (Clenzoil, ReelX, Penn Lube...). Once it is filled, and this is where it gets a little dicey, put the knob in your mouth (with your head towards the floor as you don't want a mouthful of reel oil) and create pressure to force the oil through the shaft and lubricate the axle. This usually does the trick, but I do have another trick that I am hesitant to pass along as it can do irreparable damage if not done correctly and I would hate for someone to have to replace a handle assembly due to my suggestion.
Please bring it to me if you can't get it freed up and I will be happy to give it a go.
DKwakulla

Post by DKwakulla »

Thank you Jim ^^

CLR did the trick. I'm actually extremely meticulous with reel care. This one just didn't want to cooperate for some reason. Hell I have a 15 year old Penn baitcaster that goes out with me every weekend.