Hickory Mound 1/8

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jss12121

Hickory Mound 1/8

Post by jss12121 »

Went to Hickory Mound this afternoon with my girlfriend. Wind wasn't our friend but it was certainly interesting to see dead low tide on the bay side of the area, and the inside completely full of water. I caught a 28'' red on an artificial shrimp and my girlfriend stuck a nice 22 or 23 incher on live shrimp on the bottom. I also believe I saw finger mullet get busted by reds once or twice. We were the only fisherman there as everyone else at the structure was crabbing. It is a shame how much trash is on the side of the road/trails/even into the water :smt011 . Next time I go back Ill know to bring a trash bag too. I also want to get myself a legal crab or 2 for redfish/drum bait. Does anyone else have experience fishing this water?

-JSS
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Hickory Mound 1/8

Post by silverking »

That area is very fishy. Take your time, study some charts and explore and you'll get it dialed in.

It is extremely disheartening to see the amount of trash there and elsewhere. For users who enjoy the outdoors, many sure don't respect it, especially when there are trash cans readily available.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
jss12121

Post by jss12121 »

Thank you Silver King. I agree I’ve been a few times and seems very fishy. Will do my best to clean up trash myself next few times I visit. Just wondering if you know who owns/manages the land?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Good for you. I pick up trash every time I go. If everyone would do that, it would definitely help clean up our waterways.

Hickory Mound is state-owned land, managed by the FL Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Place is a dump; nothing but litter and miles of crabbing rope everywhere. Pretty spot but an eye sore seeing so much trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

U can thank most of the lazy crabbers for not cleaning up after themselves.
Badfish

Post by Badfish »

This is one of my favorite places to go and I agree with the trash issue. I always pick up as much trash as I can when I am there. My 3 year old grandson also loves it and asks every day to go there. We have one rule for him though, he must pick up a bag full of garbage before he is allowed to fish and he has no problem with it.
Red Beard

Hickory Mound 1/8

Post by Red Beard »

Badfish wrote:This is one of my favorite places to go and I agree with the trash issue. I always pick up as much trash as I can when I am there. My 3 year old grandson also loves it and asks every day to go there. We have one rule for him though, he must pick up a bag full of garbage before he is allowed to fish and he has no problem with it.
That’s how I was raised myself, I’m sure a lot of us were. The same folks who litter are the same ones who can’t put a shopping cart back in the cart coral at the grocery store.. just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StMarksAngler

Post by StMarksAngler »

People are out there crabbing in January? I would not have expected that...
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

You only made this topic to mention that you got a.......28” Red lol!

We have discussed the trash there many times. Sometimes you go and there is no trash, which unfortunately doesn’t mean that it’s not being cleaned up, but that it’s eventually swept out with the tide.

I was going to make Hickory Mound my annual clean up weekend spot this year but I think I’m going to choose somewhere else because I’m pretty sure that if I walked that show edge I’d eventually trip and fall, and that wouldn’t just be any trip and fall. Smash right into the oysters...