Piney-Z FADS added

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Piney-Z FADS added

Post by silverking »

The Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission added more fish-aggregating devices to the popular Lake Piney-Z in Tallahassee:

https://thefishingwire.com/15277-2/
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Limitless

Re: Piney-Z FADS added

Post by Limitless »

Several years ago I worked at the Capitol during session every year. I had a real good friend who was a legislator and had gotten to know the lady that owned the Piney Z ranch. She had given him a gate key and we fished the lake many times. Back then, with very few folks having a chance to fish there, it was amazing. The bass were the largest I've ever caught and panfish were regularly bigger than your hand. I'm glad to hear that now that the area has been developed the lake is being managed by FWC. Lotta great memories there.
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Now they just got to handle the fish part.

While back it got real low, not quite as low as 2012ish where you could walk the whole dike end to end and parts of the lake bed were dry, but pretty low and the water was clear by Piney Z standards. I stood up on my kayak and just cruised around on a calm day looking all over the lake. Didn't see one single fish in the entire lake. Not a minnow, not a bream, not a buck bass in the shallows... Nothing at all. The majority of it you could see the bottom out in the middle. The deeper areas are the cuts next to the dikes where they scooped material. Around the cypress was no more than a foot or two deep. Never seen a lake so devoid of living things.

Had some good trips out there 8-10 years ago. Last year or two when I've gone you're lucky to catch one or two bass. And I've never seen a single bream of any kind swimming around in the shallows there ever now that I think about it. I've caught some solid bass out of there but it is a weird lake.