TripleTail?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

TripleTail?

Post by Redbelly »

I've never caught one. This year I want to get some. How are you local anglers having success? I know about fishing the floating buoys and weeds and trash. Is there other ways to find them?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
flatsbroke22

Re: TripleTail?

Post by flatsbroke22 »

You pretty much got it nailed. I’ve caught several and they all have come off of some kind of floating structure. Just make sure when approaching the structure to be as stealthy as possible. They spook pretty easy. Live shrimp under a cork has worked best for me.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Thanks
I was wondering if maybe they relate to a certain bottom structure or holes? Like they don't always hang on floating stuff, right?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
jss12121

Post by jss12121 »

Agree with both of you on the structure. I have caught 1 or 2 a little further south down the coast up against an oyster bar at high tide while I was fishing for redfish as well. 90% of my experience with them though are on crab traps
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Probably had 50 in my boat last year. One was tagged. All came off of visible structure. I can only remember I TT we’ve caught when not targeting them. It was caught trout fishing with a gulp under a cork on patchy bottom
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Showboat can you give some detail on the time of day, tide, any months better than others? Sounds like you targeted them, I assume you rode a lot looking? Thanks
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Time of day and tides didn’t really seem to matter. One exception might be increased pressure later in the day on weekend. Obviously a high sun and low wind makes them easier to see, but you don’t have to see them to catch them. We usually chased them after a couple hours of chasing top water fish.

They’re pelagics, so the same months you see cobia/migrating tarpon there are triple tail hanging around.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

So even if you didn't see them you casted around the floating things? Did you use lures or live shrimp?
I was told by one fella that they used a cork set up or freelined to get deeper around the buoys.

Thanks Showboat
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

DOA shrimp work great. I usually don't use under a cork. Fresh dead shrimp under a cork or slip float is effective, too.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

With the new limit size of 18", how will this affect the bags around here?

I read that they are smaller in this area, so will it be hard to get a legal size?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
STMU

Post by STMU »

Redbelly wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 10:17 am With the new limit size of 18", how will this affect the bags around here?

I read that they are smaller in this area, so will it be hard to get a legal size?
I caught a few dozen last summer from Ochlocknee Bay to Aucilla, and I think only 1 was over 18". I think if you go towards Apalach/Lanark you could probably find bigger ones.