Winter top water and popping corks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PhishingNole

Winter top water and popping corks

Post by PhishingNole »

A creek I've been fishing is full of oyster bars and I've lost a few jig heads to them over the last few trips.

Does anyone have success using top water or popping corks in sub 50 degree weather when targeting those deeper holes in creeks?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Winter top water and popping corks

Post by SHOWBOAT »

topwater can work, but it's hard. try to slow movement in front of the fish; slow sinking/suspending plugs, corky's, jerkbaits, etc.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Just like brian said it tough and may take a lil more patience but I caught my heaviest trout on topwater in water in the 50s .the plugs Brian mentioned also work I mainly use suspending plugs,jerk bait plugs or soft plastics.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been bouncing soft plastics on jig heads, swimming chatter baits, and shrimp. While they seem to work, I'm spending a lot of time getting caught on oysters and losing more tackle than I'd like.

Tempting to use something like top water or popping corks to avoid the oysters, but I hear ya.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk