How to catch bait from a dock?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Surfrdfisher

How to catch bait from a dock?

Post by Surfrdfisher »

Hello all,
I have a house on the water on Ochlockonee bay, from my dock I have tried to catch bait but no luck. I’m using a small pinfish trap using trout/red backbones, bread, hot dogs, scraps, etc... but no luck. The current rips but I think it could be my trap, anyone having luck doing the same thing?
If I can solve this, I have no problems sharing my excess with a PM before pulling!
luckywsp

Re: How to catch bait from a dock?

Post by luckywsp »

If you throw a shrimp out does it get pecked away? If not then there are no pinfish. Also it’s pretty cold. There may be fewer pinfish around right now. They seem to vacate the flats when it’s freezing. You might have more luck in a couple months. Those are just my first thoughts.
geofish

Post by geofish »

I've always wondered where the pinfish go in the winter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Now is not a good time to judge your bait population. At the end of March, bait your trap overnight (full high/low tide cycle) with shrimp heads. If you do not catch them with that, you need to bait fish somewhere else.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

A lot of fresh water moving through the bay right now...going to be a minute before that trap is useful. If you want to catch some bait I would go closer to the mouth of the bay. Around bald point/mashes sands area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surfrdfisher

Post by Surfrdfisher »

Thank you for all the responses, yep it is all this darn rain. Found bait at the mouth on subiki rigs.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

What type of trap are you using? Is it one with the entrance on each end or one with entrance on all four sides? I have both types and the one with four has out caught bait 10 to 1. One problem with a trap in high current is that the bait will tend to only enter the trap either the up current or down current side. This is why the four sided one works better, no matter the direction of current one side will always be in favor. Another good attractant is chum. If you put chum in a bag with smaller mesh size than the normal chum bag it will last for a while longer. I have used a zip lock bag and punched several small holes in it. Something you’ll have to experiment with. Also as mentioned above now is not ideal for catching bait but it won’t be long.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Surfrdfisher

Post by Surfrdfisher »

I have been using a trap with only one entrance, makes perfect sense to try one with 4 due to the current, thanks!
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Surfrdfisher wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:24 am I have been using a trap with only one entrance, makes perfect sense to try one with 4 due to the current, thanks!
Try Trophy Creek Outfitters in Monticello they sell the good ones.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Outdoornerd

Post by Outdoornerd »

if you can,,,use a floating LED light at night--green flavor--cast net--Ive had better luck on new moon though--