incoming tide or outgoing tide

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ragansm1

incoming tide or outgoing tide

Post by ragansm1 »

Which is best for fishing incoming tide or outgoing for flats?
FishWithChris

Re: incoming tide or outgoing tide

Post by FishWithChris »

Both.

(Really depends on where). But I prefer the incoming

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

If you are targeting hardhead catfish, can't beat dead low tide. And if the wind is also slack, you can complete the experience when no-see-ums are present.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

From what I have learned recently it's more about water movement. If you look at the tides today there is only 0.4' and 0.9' of difference between the morning high afternoon low and evening high. So both outgoing and incoming tides today would not be the best times for fishing. However, before the high this morning and the outgoing tide this evening seem to be the best conditions (6 little fishes on the tides4fishing website) because of more difference in tide height.

I'm sure there are many members here that have more experience than I do, but this has been my most recent discovery. Then again, if you want catfish and sand gnats do what Gary said! :D
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Chris is right. Depends on what you’re doing. Going back in creeks you want to work with the tide. Flats can go either way depending on type structure and wind. Quiet boat control and understanding what’s happening to the bait are key. Moving is better than not moving.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.