PAUL BROWN LURES BY MIRROWLURE

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

PAUL BROWN LURES BY MIRROWLURE

Post by Tide-Dancer »

OK folks. I am hearing a lot about Paul Brown Lures lately. Yes I know they have been out a while, but I'm an old guy and it takes me a while to catch on.
So here is my question for all you Paul Brown fans. Since these are not cheap lures I need some help here.
1. Which models?
2. What size?
3. Best colors for trout and red fish?
4. GPS way-point for large trout? :-D
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: PAUL BROWN LURES BY MIRROWLURE

Post by ugadawg »

I hear a lot of good things about the Paul Brown Original in a Black, Gold, and Orange color scheme. Seems to work real well when the water is cooler. I have never used one on account of hardly anywhere sells the things. The only place that I have seen them around here is in Wilson's in Perry. (Granted, I don't go out of my way looking for them....I just look whenever I'm in a bait store.)
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I prefer the “FatBoy” in the lighter colors. Check out Steveslures.com he makes custom Paul Browns in a assortment of color variations. They are a big hit on the Texas coast.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I prefer the paul brown devil or fat boy, They are deadly on big trout, nearly every trout over 20 I've caught has been on a corky. I try and look at the color but my best colors have been pink and black or purple and chartreuse. I have several broke back corky's that steveslures made.....stay away from them, I had to do a charge back for lures he never sent and frankly his color selections made me come close to overlooking it and giving him another shot. But the brokebacks are even more fragile than a regular corky, the split rings are trash, and the tail sections are not well attached. I will say this....while I love a corky and the thump it makes when a big one hits is awesome but you better have deep pockets to fish them when the Spanish or bluefish are around, one hit from them and they are usually toast.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Thanks for the help folks. Keep the comments coming. Yes these baits are pricey but it looks like something I want to try. :smt006
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Kevins has all the paul brown's you want. sizes and colors.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

Paul Brown lures are great cold-weather baits, but to reiterate what doomtrpr_z71 already mentioned, at $9-$20/pop, unless you just enjoy burning money, I wouldn't throw one anywhere a spanish/bluefish might be encountered. If you don't already carry super glue with you when you're fishing, I'd suggest adding some to your tackle bag. The PB lures tear up fairly easily even on trout and reds, and a little super glue goes a long way in prolonging the life of those lures.
STMU

Post by STMU »

RCS wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 1:18 pm Paul Brown lures are great cold-weather baits, but to reiterate what doomtrpr_z71 already mentioned, at $9-$20/pop, unless you just enjoy burning money, I wouldn't throw one anywhere a spanish/bluefish might be encountered. If you don't already carry super glue with you when you're fishing, I'd suggest adding some to your tackle bag. The PB lures tear up fairly easily even on trout and reds, and a little super glue goes a long way in prolonging the life of those lures.
I don't use them much here for that very reason. I can't justify spending the money on a bait that gets torn up after a few fish, when a mirrolure does near the same thing without the damage. Same goes for live targets... too rich for my blood. If I'm traveling somewhere to snook/tarpon fish then sure, but I like to save my money on my home turf, especially when I know there are plenty of other baits way cheaper that still catch fish.

I could spend the same amount on a spoon, jig, and topwater and fish in just about any condition...
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I'll add I've found the devil to be the most durable corky even though the tail is so skinny

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Picked up a Fat Boy in Texas Chicken (pink top, chartreuse belly, orange bottom/back) and tried in on the east flats today.

Never got a single nibble. Tried twitch/twitch/pause, straight retrieve, and even a little left/right action. No joy.

I thought with the bluebird skies it would do well, but they just weren't interested. I did catch trout on rootbeer/chartreuse tail paddletail, shrimp baits, white gulp shrimp, and a trout trick.

Everything I caught today was on the smaller end, so I think it might have been too big for most of the fish I put it in front of today.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

PhishingNole wrote:Picked up a Fat Boy in Texas Chicken (pink top, chartreuse belly, orange bottom/back) and tried in on the east flats today.

Never got a single nibble. Tried twitch/twitch/pause, straight retrieve, and even a little left/right action. No joy.

I thought with the bluebird skies it would do well, but they just weren't interested. I did catch trout on rootbeer/chartreuse tail paddletail, shrimp baits, white gulp shrimp, and a trout trick.

Everything I caught today was on the smaller end, so I think it might have been too big for most of the fish I put it in front of today.

The little ones hit em too Image, you may have bought the fat boy that suspends about 8in deep and it wasn't getting deep enough, does it have red painted gills?Image

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

I didn't realize there was a floating version and yes, I did buy the floating version.

That might be my problem. :-D