Sea grass in Deadman’s Bay ?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

Sea grass in Deadman’s Bay ?

Post by Saltydawg »

Saw the results of seagrass survey done in Deadman’s Bay that indicated a 70%+ reduction in seagrass this year. Probably due to cold weather and root structures apparently good so will recover but has anyone fished Steinhatchee or Keatons recently and noticed this? If so how has it impacted the fishing, are fish congregating on existing grass?
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Sea grass in Deadman’s Bay ?

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Huge amounts of sea urchins have eaten a large section of sea grass. It does appear to be coming back in places. The Sea Grant biologist and I estimated it to be 2 1/4 miles long and more than a mile wide. It’s mainly out from piney point running towards grassy island in Taylor county, not really deadman’s bay.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

It seems fine north and south of there correct?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

For the most part I think. Basically they are pushing in huge lines wiping out the grass but if you go where they were a year ago the grass is starting to come back, still very thin. It’s definitely concerning, it has moved fish, causes more local turbidity and almost definitely will have a negative effect on scallop season but I’m not sure what there is to be done. The academics are telling me it’s natural even though I’ve never seen it before.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I haven't been to Keaton in a while, but the grass beds from St. Marks to Carrabelle were very very thin the last time I was out. Too much of that nasty moss and not enough of the good stuff as well.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!