Where to scallop this summer

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Surfrdfisher

Post by Surfrdfisher »

I am relatively new to the area and am trying to figure out where to scallop this summer. I have a house on Ochlockonee bay and will be will be using a 18’ G3 with little kids in tow, my question is where is the closest place to launch from and where to find the “fleet”. We scalloped for years at PSJ but want to try a new area closer.
Thanks for any advice!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Where to scallop this summer

Post by Salty Gator »

It depends where the scallops are. If they are in St Marks, then the light house is the closest ramp. They could be in Lanark, Psj, Keaton or steinhachee. There will be published reports closer to the season
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

There are no scallops in these waters..

Joking aside I will not give a location, but I will say find the grass’. (Turtle grass and manatee grass)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Hopefully far away from where I'm fishing. lol

Sorry.....I'm just a crusty old guy that wishes he could fish in peace and load up at the ramp without being in the middle of a poop show.

When I am lucky enough to have that Grandkid I'll be right out there with you.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
SouthernPointe

Post by SouthernPointe »

Got a boat limit for the first time out of St. Marks last season. We usually go to St. Joe. Look for the armada of boats east of the lighthouse. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Interesting question. I have only been to three different locations around here in all my years of scalloping Lanark Village, Shell Point and St marks Lighthouse. I quit going to Shell Point years ago because there was some issue with high bacteria levels and I haven't been back since. Lanark is a long drive and the boat ramp is more expensive now. St marks is the closest for me and I know the area well. Even when the scallops are scarce I still like to get out and enjoy the water. I'm thinking about checking out some areas to the west of the lighthouse this year and see what is there.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

There hasn't been enough scallops out of Lanark since the first of three hurricanes came through and tore up the grass.

The only truly reliable place is the Steinhatchee area, from Keaton to Pepperfish Key.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Has anybody ever tried to catch scallops inside Alligator Point? From looking at the maps and charts it seems like there might be enough grass and sand in that area.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’ve never seen any scallops or scallopers in the harbor. But when the salinity is right, Lanark can be a good spot. Been a few years since it was good though
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven