Cedar Key Reports?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ropeman

Cedar Key Reports?

Post by ropeman »

Does anybody fish around Cedar Key? I was supposed to go there the first weekend in May with my girlfriend's dad, but he can't make it. We still want to go, but I don't know the area very well.
ropeman

Re: Cedar Key Reports?

Post by ropeman »

I guess nobody fishes Cedar Key :)
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

I have never been there sir but wish you luck. How tough can it be and beats working any day.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Have only fished there once in Dec. a few years ago for
a couple days with son. We just drifted around the islands in his old 13 whaler and caught trout. He spin fishes and i'm a fly guy. Cool little town. Ramp fee was $15, a little high i thought.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

And be sure to get clam chowder at Tony's id still open. Absolutely outstanding.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Tony's chowder was the first stop! I got to explore a lot of areas around the outside keys, I didn't want to run too close to the inside channels. Ramp fee was a little high, but its easy to launch. There was a tournament going on Saturday so the parking was packed. Several short reds and trout were hooked. Only one trout got in the cooler.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Glad you got some pull backs. Is a good ramp, guess the city just has limited revenue streams. Would like to get back there, my kind of place.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

We went back this past weekend and got some local intel from the guy who's been running Number 4 channel for 35 years. It's a little complicated to run the deep route, but much closer to the good fishing spots and free.

One red, two trout and one blue crab got in the cooler and will be joining us for dinner. I caught a bonnet head that was over 3' and my girlfriend caught a 36" Black drum. That was enough excitement to make up for the slow times.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Going back to Cedar Key for Memorial Day weekend! If anybody has tips I would appreciate them.