St. Mark’s Set Up.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DadSquatch

St. Mark’s Set Up.

Post by DadSquatch »

Hello,

I have been fishing the Keaton beach area for years and have always used a popping cork with a 3 foot leader and a gulp.

Recently I have moved to Atlanta and can’t seem to catch a bass to save my life.

Instead of heading back to Keaton a buddy and I are headed to St. Mark’s this weekend. I was planning on fishing the “East flats”. A show I watched said to follow the channel out and head east after passing bouy 9.

Will the same popping cork and gulp set up work for the Apalachee Bay? If not, what set up seems to work best?

Thanks for the help.
FishWithChris

Re: St. Mark’s Set Up.

Post by FishWithChris »

If you're going to be fishing gulp, you better bring a lot - a ton of toothy critters roaming right now. I recommend something more durable, like a Zman.

Flats are on fire right now, drop that leader to 24", 1/8oz jig head. Have a good time. Don't hesitate to throw topwaters early, or even some subbies like a mirrolure mirodine. Heck, have a jerk-shad tied on, rigged weedless, and toss near structure/hard & spotty bottom.

What boat will you be in? Watch tides, depending on draft just take it easy once you get over close towards Stoney Baoyou.. "rock garden" can getcha, but holds some great fish.

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
DadSquatch

Post by DadSquatch »

I’ll be in a bass tracker aluminum bass boat. Nothing fancy but it gets me on the water.

What depth should we focus on. Normally I drift 3.5 to 5 feet?

I’ll definitely pick up some different lures.

Thank you for the help
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

DadSquatch wrote:I’ll be in a bass tracker aluminum bass boat. Nothing fancy but it gets me on the water.

What depth should we focus on. Normally I drift 3.5 to 5 feet?

I’ll definitely pick up some different lures.

Thank you for the help
That will get the job done fine. Treat it like bass fishing, find structure and toss hooks. Good luck and safe travels. Looking forward to a fishing report..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

DadSquatch wrote: May 10th, 2021, 7:25 pm What depth should we focus on. Normally I drift 3.5 to 5 feet?
I have always heard to set your cork at half of the depth of the water. Water depth depends on the water temp.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

ropeman wrote: May 11th, 2021, 12:38 pm
DadSquatch wrote: May 10th, 2021, 7:25 pm What depth should we focus on. Normally I drift 3.5 to 5 feet?
I have always heard to set your cork at half of the depth of the water. Water depth depends on the water temp.
Kind of ghetto but I tie about 5' on all my cajun/popping corks and if fishing shallower or getting pinfish bites put a basic loop and knot to subtract some length 1' at a time. Under tension it just pulls the loop out.

Trout don't seem to mind.