Recommend a trolling combo

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

leonreno

Recommend a trolling combo

Post by leonreno »

I would like to try some shallow water near shore trolling for Spanish Mackerel. I don’t have any trolling/convential rods and reels. Would like some recommendations for some cheaper <$100 combos for trolling for Spanish Mackerel. Would like to use planers (#1,#2) and surface rigs like a bird rig or spreader rig. Figure doesn’t to be super expensive since they will be for Spanish mackerel. I don’t know what size reel or power and length on the rods.
STMU

Re: Recommend a trolling combo

Post by STMU »

I don't think you really need any of that...unless you've got cash to burn. I use my inshore stuff and never had any issues due to lack of equipment. Most of the time I tie a bigger leader on my 4000 spinning rods and go with that. Sometimes I'll bring a Calcutta or some other baitcasting rig, but again, it's the same stuff I use inshore. Pop them in my rod holders and start trolling. I find 3 rods, sometimes 4 if I've got a fishing partner who knows what they are doing, is the max amount of rods you want out with Spanish. When they get thick they will wrap your lines in all kinds of ways and have you cussing. That's 10-fold if you have a bunch of extra stuff in the water like planers.

Depending on the lure, I do find the braid on my spinning setup sometimes gets a lot of twists. However, twists can happen with any setup whether inshore or for Spanish. When I'm done I cut the leader off, let the line out while the boat is in motion, and reel it back after a few minutes. That usually removes most of the twist, and I live with the rest.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Do you use planers or do you pull them on the surface or trolling weights?
STMU

Post by STMU »

leonreno wrote: May 13th, 2021, 2:40 pm Do you use planers or do you pull them on the surface or trolling weights?
No planers, no weights. Sometimes I'll troll using a flyrod and sinking line. For some reason, they really like the fly, and if nothing else is working that usually does the trick...plus it's a lot of fun.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Agree with above. Use your light spinners. When we used to troll dog island reef. Gold or silver Johnson spoons ( w 30lb fluro) would be all I used. Those Christmas tree rigs are a bitch when you get 4 bluefish on one.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Appreciate all the suggestions, I have some heavy spinning tackle to that would probably work also. I’ll give the spinning tackle a try before going to far deep into coventional gear. I agree, the idea of a bunch of blues or other fish on a Christmas tree rig sounds hectic and increases chance of a bit finger or other appendage.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Sometimes paralysis by analysis is worst than just going for it. I have faith you will be successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk