Econfina River Nav ?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Outdoornerd

Econfina River Nav ?

Post by Outdoornerd »

Hey does anyone have any guidance on how to run the Econfina River without hitting stuff???
I know about 200 yards in front of the birdrack, it gets pretty shallow and there are some foot knocking oyster bars near the mouth. Has anyone ever created a map drawing he could share? Any advice is appreciated.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Econfina River Nav ?

Post by ugadawg »

There are a variety of ways to run the Econfina without hitting stuff.

The best way is to run it with an airboat....

But if you don't...

You can go on google maps and see the channel. If you run it on a tide that is greater than 1.0, you are usually good as long as you stay in the center of the river. Once you pass the tripod, if you hang a left, you can avoid most of the mud flat.

If you have the money, the Florida Marine Tracks has a pretty good line that you can run.

Also....get some good boat insurance....you'll need it if you run Econfina long enough.

If the tide is low...just stay away. I paddled the river last winter on a -1.4 tide and was hitting rocks with my canoe. I knew the river was rocky, but I didn't know it was that rocky.
Outdoornerd

Post by Outdoornerd »

Thanks!!!!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

If you launch at the park and don't know where the rocks are...don't take the short cut to the right! I'd still be sitting on top of those rocks if there hadn't been a very nice guy in a red Sea Pro that pulled me off... I'd rather run through a mine field than run that river. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: May 21st, 2021, 1:40 pm If you launch at the park and don't know where the rocks are...don't take the short cut to the right! I'd still be sitting on top of those rocks if there hadn't been a very nice guy in a red Sea Pro that pulled me off... I'd rather run through a mine field than run that river. :-D
The aucilla is worse
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

WAY worse!
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Here ya go. Scroll down until you see the map & coordinates provided by Tom Keels a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=876
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Oh yeah, going out there is a table rock on the left half of the river @ the curve (that is just after the last no wake zone where the houses are) so stay to right side & clear the curve before taking off. You will see it on your depth finder.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I used to go out of the Aucilla, but haven't in so long I've forgotton where the rocks are going out the mouth.
That's why I like the Ecofina, they have markers on the big rocks going out. I have also located other rocks there not marked.... :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Hit-n-Miss

Econfina River Nav ?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D If you come and go with 2' positive tide(look at tide graph to plan trips) there are really only 2 rocks that you need two worry about(If you stay in the middle). NOTE: Stiff north east wind over night will make tides lower. One right at the ramp, don't go too far back across river when backing in. You can get off trailer fine just don't back up way across with motor trimmed down. Two just past the no wake zone where the houses are(I second do not take the righthand shortcut!) BIG rock in the middle of the river. I stay close to the right side till I can see the next bend then plane out. Towards the gulf there are several rocks marked with buoys, just slalom between them. Then run just left of the tripod until you have at least 4' depth and then go where you going to fish. Can get by with 1.5' once you learn it. :-DImage Like todays, launch at 8:30 and come in at 3:00. The yellow line is a good indicator of safe water level.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Went out Econfina yesterday and all the rocks plus a few new ones have been marked with new buoys around the mouth.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

I’ve been going there a while and have learned new things and that I may have been doing it wrong, I usually run out just to the right side of the tripod and the last time I went I ran back in through the short cut, I don’t do that all the time but water was high then, wouldn’t do on a low, didn’t know there was a big rock in there, will keep that in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I used to run the shortcut on higher tides. When I paddled it during the winter low tide, I decided to do the short cut to see what was in there there. Lets just say from what I saw in that shortcut....I don't care how high the tide is, I'm never again putting a boat with an outboard in that shortcut. I've been extremely lucky that I have never hit anything in that little cut.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

ugadawg wrote: May 24th, 2021, 9:20 am I used to run the shortcut on higher tides.
I guess that y'all are talking about running on the inside of Possum Gap Island? I have been lucky going that way as well. I've never been on an extremely low tide, but I've run that way several times. I've also taken the right side going out just down from the ramp every time because that seems to be the most popular route for other boats.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Not sure about everyone else but here's the spot I ran up on the rocks.

Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/