Circle Hooks On Jigheads

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Angler85

Circle Hooks On Jigheads

Post by Angler85 »

Hope this isn't too dumb of a question.

I'm headed down to the New Port Richey are and will be targeting some mangrove snapper with the family. I know you have to use circle hooks for reef fish but I see a popular technique for mangroves using jigheads with a live pinfish. According to the regulations, this sounds illegal but seems like a lot of folks do it.

Am I missing something?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Circle Hooks On Jigheads

Post by Salty Gator »

I’ve never been able to figure it out for sure, but I believe you nailed it. Under the letter of the law it is illegal, but people do it. As I understand it, there is a section of south Florida where it is legal because of the yellowtail fishery and lobbying. But in most of the state it’s technically illegal. I guess it’s up to the guy that stops you. Good luck, post up a report

If the current isn’t ripping, we usually chum them up behind the boat and drift unweighted chunks back into the slick w lighter tackle.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Post by bbb »

I’ve never had FWC ask to see my tackle/tackle box, only my catch/cooler.

Tell them you are fishing for mackerel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I just use a knocker rig for them on the bottom. Same as I use for grouper except scaled down. 1oz lead and a 2 or 3/0 circle hook.
Angler85

Post by Angler85 »

Thanks for all the info! I was thinking that a knocker rig would essentially do the same thing. Just seems odd that it's something they dnt check when stopping you.