Is this a chocolate snapper?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Is this a chocolate snapper?

Post by pcbayou »

The spouse and I went on a head boat today at PC Beach, and we and several others caught these things. The mates called them chocolate snappers, which I’ve heard before. But I’m not sure if that’s the correct name. Are they also called something else? They look tasty enough, although it’s not the red snappers we were hoping for.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Re: Is this a chocolate snapper?

Post by pcbayou »

Here it is
choc snapper.jpg
choc snapper.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

A lot of party boat mates either don't know what kind of fish it is or just want to make the tourists believe they caught something special. They like to call Porgys - Silver or White snapper and Beeliners (Vermillion Snapper) - Pink Snapper to name a few. I've never heard of a Chocolate snapper but I talked to to couple of guys at the Calloway ramp yesterday that said they caught a couple of Black snapper. That fish looks a little like a Black snapper but more like a Grunt / Pigfish that's been on ice to me.
Last edited by Juan on June 11th, 2021, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

You’re right, Juan. I think it is a grunt, sort of like the smaller ones I’ve caught off our dock. You’re absolutely right about the tourist tricks. We should know by now to stay on the east side of the Hathaway Bridge.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

You’re right, Juan. I think it is a grunt, sort of like the smaller ones I’ve caught off our dock. You’re absolutely right about the tourist tricks. We should know by now to stay on the east side of the Hathaway Bridge.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I can’t believe a head boat went out of Panama City and couldn’t put you on Red Snapper. Most of the spots we fish are within site of PCB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Well, four or five people did catch reds. We should have known that 40 double hooks in the water for 10 minutes at a time were at least 35 too many. We had to go to PCB because the Fishin’ Express at Port St. Joe stopped doing party boats. We had good luck with them the last two years, and they took the time and made the effort to do it right. Live, spend and learn.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: June 11th, 2021, 7:35 am A lot of party boat mates either don't know what kind of fish it is or just want to make the tourists believe they caught something special. They like to call Porgys - Silver snapper and Beeliners - Pink Snapper to name a few. I've never heard of a Chocolate snapper but I talked to to couple of guys at the Calloway ramp yesterday that said they caught a couple of Black snapper. That fish looks a little like a Black snapper but more like a Grunt / Pigfish that's been on ice to me.

Black snapper is another name for mangrove snapper. But all the others mentioned are different species called snapper for tourists
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:50 am
Juan wrote: June 11th, 2021, 7:35 am A lot of party boat mates either don't know what kind of fish it is or just want to make the tourists believe they caught something special. They like to call Porgys - Silver snapper and Beeliners - Pink Snapper to name a few. I've never heard of a Chocolate snapper but I talked to to couple of guys at the Calloway ramp yesterday that said they caught a couple of Black snapper. That fish looks a little like a Black snapper but more like a Grunt / Pigfish that's been on ice to me.

Black snapper is another name for mangrove snapper. But all the others mentioned are different species called snapper for tourists
I know some people call Mangroves - Grey Snapper but Black snapper are a different fish. Tourists don't know the difference. :-D
bbb

Post by bbb »

The ole Pink Mouth Snapper (aka Grunt) has saved many a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

bbb wrote: June 11th, 2021, 11:44 am The ole Pink Mouth Snapper (aka Grunt) has saved many a trip.
"Pink Mouth Snapper" and Grits just doesn't sound right! :-D

Like bbb said, It's hard to believe a head boat out of PC didn't put you on some Red Snapper. It's usually hard to avoid them. I think I have all the public numbers out of PC and probably two dozen private numbers. My offshore fishing buddy passed away before snapper season so if the weather cooperates (22' ft. boat) and you'd like to try again, I think I can probably put you on some snapper and it will only cost you your beer and bait. :-D
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Post by pcbayou »

Thanks. Juan. That’s a gracious offer. My first mate and I have a few numbers we might try in our 18-footer. But the wind and waves have to be just about zero. Even at my advanced age, I’m still a city boy/landlubber.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I can relate to the advanced age thing but picking the right day and conditions has nothing to do with our age... it's just smart! :-D
I go outside the pass maybe four or five times a year and then only when the conditions are right and most of those trips are hunting cobia closer to shore.
Good luck if you get out there.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I just call them grunts.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: June 11th, 2021, 11:05 am
Salty Gator wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:50 am

I know some people call Mangroves - Grey Snapper but Black snapper are a different fish. Tourists don't know the difference. :-D
I know folks in the panhandle that call mangrove snapper black snapper, some call them grey. They are black in the cooler, grey underwater. I call them dimmer. I don’t know what the tourist black snapper is.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven