Flatfish ID

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Angler85

Flatfish ID

Post by Angler85 »

So I am usually pretty good at fish ID but this one has me kind of stumped. Caught it in a tidal creek coming out of some mangroves at Anclote Key. Thought 100% a juvenile flounder but after looking at pics I’m not so sure. No defined tail, it was a perfect tear drop shape with fins all around. Any thoughts? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Re: Flatfish ID

Post by Red Beard »

It’s a baby flounder.. ain’t it cute

Angler85

Post by Angler85 »

Red Beard wrote:It’s a baby flounder.. ain’t it cute

That’s what I was thinking just looked a little odd based on the pics I found on Google. Super cute though and by boy loved checking him out. The saltwater never disappoints with cool stuff.

Red Beard

Flatfish ID

Post by Red Beard »

Angler85 wrote:

That’s what I was thinking just looked a little odd based on the pics I found on Google. Super cute though and by boy loved checking him out. The saltwater never disappoints with cool stuff.

Your right about that, everytime I go out I seem to notice something new. Had a tiger shark swim around the boat yesterday. Last week had a devil ray that was the size of a car hood slowly glide buy.

I say flounder due to the fin shapes and color on the sides. That shape is more tear drop than normal. Where was its eyes? Kind of looks like it has one on each side. Which may explain the shape, it’s not yet swimming flat.

Angler85

Post by Angler85 »

Red Beard wrote:
Angler85 wrote:

Your right about that, everytime I go out I seem to notice something new. Had a tiger shark swim around the boat yesterday. Last week had a devil ray that was the size of a car hood slowly glide buy.

I say flounder due to the fin shapes and color on the sides. That shape is more tear drop than normal. Where was its eyes? Kind of looks like it has one on each side. Which may explain the shape, it’s not yet swimming flat.

He was totally swimming flat, both eyes on one side. I didn’t know he was there and kicked up up and he buried himself right away.

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Well dang.. maybe I shouldn’t judge his shape. Could grow up to be a new record. Lol

bbb

Post by bbb »

When I used to gig, we saw what I always called skates. They resemble flounder but aren’t.

They were usually a couple to three inches long. We scooped a couple up and looked at them close. They were Definitely not a flounder. When we did see a 2-3” flounder they were very detailed like the larger ones. Dark on one side and white on the other.

STMU

Post by STMU »

Looks like a hogchocker. Very common species found throughout coastal Florida. 3 inches is about their max size.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/disco ... hogchoker/
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

All the pictures I find of tiny flounder have a distinct tail and fins. This one looks different.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAk
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

STMU wrote:Looks like a hogchocker. Very common species found throughout coastal Florida. 3 inches is about their max size.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/disco ... hogchoker/
I think you could be right.

satsuma

Post by satsuma »

Compare to a Toungefish
Family Cynoglossidae