First time at st marks.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jlayton11

First time at st marks.

Post by Jlayton11 »

Going to make a trip Saturday to Saint Mark’s using the light house ramp. I planned on going east to the big cove fishing incoming tide for redfish. Will I be okay to run that shore line or should I go down that channel and work my way back north. I’ve heard of the rock garden but not familiar with Saint marks being my first time there.
Red Beard

Re: First time at st marks.

Post by Red Beard »

Just a heads up; there are two fishing tournaments going down this weekend. Not to discourage you, but be prepared for boat traffic.

I’d recommend just taking your time and getting to know the lay of the land. Setting one safe track is always a good start and explore of that.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbb

First time at st marks.

Post by bbb »

If you are looking to fish Big Cove, there are not any rocks in that area. The Rock Garden is a few miles East of Big Cove. It can get very shallow so don’t get stuck on an outgoing tide or you might be there a while.

Being your first time and not knowing your boat or draft, i would say go out the canal into the channel, run a 1/2 mile south then work back towards Big Cove.

There is a oyster bar running from the lighthouse to the channel you need to get by first before turning East then North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jlayton11

Post by Jlayton11 »

Thanks for the info guys. Any info on shell point? I may try there and avoid the red fish tournament
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Two apps that have helped me learn the area are https://www.navionics.com/usa/ and https://www.fishangler.com/. You can look at the charts on Navionics and see all the bars and rocks to help plan your course. Fishangler has tides, wind, sun, moon, weather and fishing forecast. Low tide Saturday is at 9:33am with a +1.8' water level so there will still be a little bit of water in the shallow areas.