Questions about cast netting mullet in the fall

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Questions about cast netting mullet in the fall

Post by BloodyChamp »

But first...the Wacissa River looks like a dang sewage dump, and I’m disturbed over the fact that it’s the people who go up and down it every week that make it that way. I was at Goose Pasture Thursday and it was dark from rainwater but not dirty. I went back Saturday and it was dirty. Then today it was dirty again. Then I rode up to the dam and that was just plain gross. Not even exaggerating...freaking sewage looking drama. And of course airboats and mud motors were everywhere. That’s the reason it stays dirty. I knew that stuff never exactly helped but I thought well there’s also the rain, ongoing problems with the aquifer, etc but naw. The people on that river are the problem. I don’t know how else you explain in being clean Thursday and dirty all weekend when it hasn’t rained.

So mullet fishing anymore this summer is out, and I think next year I’m selling out to the Wakulla. I know it has it’s traffic to but that fence keeps the humanoids from totally destroying it tbh.

In the meantime I might have more time on my hands than usual this fall. I want to go and try to cast net some off of the beach. I’ve gotten pretty good with the net. Can you go to any beach and catch a few or do you have to strike gold wherever they happen to be?
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Re: Questions about cast netting mullet in the fall

Post by Fish Masterson »

You do realize that almost every one here is a boater right? Probably not the best forum to try and villainize a bunch of boaters...
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

That’s not a minority opinion around here. It’s been discussed before. I’m a boater to, but I’m not a whoosh up and down the river doing donuts in an airboater or a whoosh up and down the river boiling up the silt in a mud motorer. The silt of course getting there to start with because people did the same thing with oversized outboards until they couldn’t anymore.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

BloodyChamp wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 10:49 pm That’s not a minority opinion around here. It’s been discussed before. I’m a boater to, but I’m not a whoosh up and down the river doing donuts in an airboater or a whoosh up and down the river boiling up the silt in a mud motorer. The silt of course getting there to start with because people did the same thing with oversized outboards until they couldn’t anymore.
I can remember the smile on your face when you were little running 40 mph up and down the river in your family’s plywood boat while we were all racing each other. I also remember your grandfather going down the river and catching as many fish as he wanted regardless of the traffic. He was a hell of a fisherman and I sure learned plenty watching him when I had the chance.I know the boat traffic sucks but their aloud to be there just like us.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

So, oversized outboards created the silt? And this is a general opinion of people? I would find new people to share ideas with.
Without boat traffic, the grass would choke up the river. Being from here, you ought to know this. Most of the murkiness is caused by a brown algae that didn't always grow here like it does now. The first few boats or canoes stir it up, and it suspends in the water until the current flushes it away. Mud and silt by contrast, settle back to the bottom clearing the water sooner.
You should try whooshing, it helps flush algae.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Of course they’re allowed to be there but it would be nice if certain ones gave a dang about the place in return. The to big outboards, along with other things yes, contributed to the silt problem and I was in on it yes for a long time before I learned what was going on. Grass choking up the river is a bigger tale than some of the fish stories. That has never happened, not even in the winter during the years before all the traffic. That just sounds good to the narrative that we’ve all done nothing wrong and everything is all hunky dory similar to some of the ghost stories about the dam. Not that that even matters because none of the native aquatic grass is even left in the main river and the ribbon grass on the sides is less than half of what it used to be.
TOWM

Post by TOWM »

I can’t wait for someone to invent electric powered air boat engines and electric mud motors!
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I have no comment on the statements about motors, mud, and grass.

But as far as mullet, I believe you can find some good success once season comes around and they thicken up. There are some beaches that are better than others. Chaires Creek bridge in Franklin can offer a good spot to grab some. Also Alligator Point Beach down to Bald point point can be prosperous. Also Wakulla beach may be worth a try.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

This might be throwing gas on a fire, but I think spring fed rivers (Wakulla and Wacissa) should be paddle or trolling motor only. That would stop some of the problem, but every time I go to Big Blue I pick up several beer bottles and haul them to the trash. I don't even like going there on the weekends anymore.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

No gas on the fire. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I do disagree, but the crowds on both rivers are a bit out of control. Really couldn't see a reasonable law to ban one sort of boaters, and give it to another. As far as the trash, it is just as much the paddlers as the boaters. Most of us locals have stopped going to blue spring. The crowds, and language have made it all but impossible to have kids in there.
We've retreated further and further down river each year. Now we are cooling off around the damn, far out of reach of most paddle renters. Being raised here, it does kinda stink to have to bypass all of the beautiful springs that i grew up enjoying, but what can you do. We usually pick up tons of trash on our way back up, and then endure evil looks from the handful of eco-tourists who have recently discovered the river, and now feel that we don't belong.
Everyone has an opinion though. At least our invasive grasses are kind enough to never grow where our boats run,, so at least we still have that, and an occasional ghost story for our entertainment.

Cheers
klbtjtally1

Post by klbtjtally1 »

BloodyChamp wrote: August 1st, 2021, 6:53 pm But first...the Wacissa River looks like a dang sewage dump, and I’m disturbed over the fact that it’s the people who go up and down it every week that make it that way. I was at Goose Pasture Thursday and it was dark from rainwater but not dirty. I went back Saturday and it was dirty. Then today it was dirty again. Then I rode up to the dam and that was just plain gross. Not even exaggerating...freaking sewage looking drama. And of course airboats and mud motors were everywhere. That’s the reason it stays dirty. I knew that stuff never exactly helped but I thought well there’s also the rain, ongoing problems with the aquifer, etc but naw. The people on that river are the problem. I don’t know how else you explain in being clean Thursday and dirty all weekend when it hasn’t rained.

So mullet fishing anymore this summer is out, and I think next year I’m selling out to the Wakulla. I know it has it’s traffic to but that fence keeps the humanoids from totally destroying it tbh.

In the meantime I might have more time on my hands than usual this fall. I want to go and try to cast net some off of the beach. I’ve gotten pretty good with the net. Can you go to any beach and catch a few or do you have to strike gold wherever they happen to be?

I had to chime in here. Been going there for forty years. I agree 100%. The yahoos don't care about anyone and IMHO some do to be a pain more than anything. Years ago a kid in a plywood boat was hauling ass up and down the river and one run the motor came right off. Me and my buddy laughed our asses off.

I remember the days when there was hardly 20 people on a Saturday there and the water was clean. Now they have cleaned up the head and it does look nice but yes the boats do ruin the river. I agree with the paddle only option. There's plenty of ocean and Okeechobee for the boats and airboats.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

To gently swerve this thread back to your original question...

The St Marks Refuge is chock full of mullet. The canal/pool adjacent (east) of the lighthouse holds thousands, and all the creeks that feed from Deep Creek levee to the bay also are highways for eating-size mullet.

You will need to learn the right tides for all these spots. After 20 years, I am still fine-tuning. Also need to be aware that hidden oyster bars, sunken trees, and rocks will gobble up your nets. All part of the experience.

Best way to learn the creeks is to go during negative low tide, so you can see bottom structure revealed.

Good luck!
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

klbtjtally1 wrote: August 6th, 2021, 3:24 pm
BloodyChamp wrote: August 1st, 2021, 6:53 pm But first...the Wacissa River looks like a dang sewage dump, and I’m disturbed over the fact that it’s the people who go up and down it every week that make it that way. I was at Goose Pasture Thursday and it was dark from rainwater but not dirty. I went back Saturday and it was dirty. Then today it was dirty again. Then I rode up to the dam and that was just plain gross. Not even exaggerating...freaking sewage looking drama. And of course airboats and mud motors were everywhere. That’s the reason it stays dirty. I knew that stuff never exactly helped but I thought well there’s also the rain, ongoing problems with the aquifer, etc but naw. The people on that river are the problem. I don’t know how else you explain in being clean Thursday and dirty all weekend when it hasn’t rained.

I had to chime in here. Been going there for forty years. I agree 100%. The yahoos don't care about anyone and IMHO some do to be a pain more than anything. Years ago a kid in a plywood boat was hauling ass up and down the river and one run the motor came right off. Me and my buddy laughed our asses off.

I remember the days when there was hardly 20 people on a Saturday there and the water was clean. Now they have cleaned up the head and it does look nice but yes the boats do ruin the river. I agree with the paddle only option. There's plenty of ocean and Okeechobee for the boats and airboats.
Well, you seem fun...
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Gary has it right. They be fish out there, go catch'em up!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

GaryDroze wrote: August 6th, 2021, 5:58 pm To gently swerve this thread back to your original question...

The St Marks Refuge is chock full of mullet. The canal/pool adjacent (east) of the lighthouse holds thousands, and all the creeks that feed from Deep Creek levee to the bay also are highways for eating-size mullet.

You will need to learn the right tides for all these spots. After 20 years, I am still fine-tuning. Also need to be aware that hidden oyster bars, sunken trees, and rocks will gobble up your nets. All part of the experience.

Best way to learn the creeks is to go during negative low tide, so you can see bottom structure revealed.

Good luck!
Ole Gary Dee has given this answer many times. I have been there and looked a time or 2 but but haven’t committed to memorizing it like he has or like I have, say, the Aucilla on my paddling trips. But if Gary Dee says it I know it’s true. I’ll have to finally time the tides right and get serious the next time.