Tarpon

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jakereaves2000

Tarpon

Post by jakereaves2000 »

Any chance of finding any significant numbers of tarpon now or is the season pretty much over?
Red Beard

Re: Tarpon

Post by Red Beard »

Tarpon… never heard of ‘em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jakereaves2000

Post by jakereaves2000 »

I know, I know. Super secret poons…
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I saw a few in the east river about two weeks ago.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

The main migration push is over for the year. There are always some fish that hang around in various places. Finding those places is not easy. Getting one of those fish to eat is even harder. When the water temp gets into the mid 70's they will be moving to warmer waters.

If you wait until next June/July there will be plenty of Tarpon Guides tear azzing all over creation. Just roll up on them and ask where the fish are. :smt006 :smt004
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

There's still plenty schooling in the PC area. They're small (about 2' or less) and will tear up a 4" swimbait. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
jakereaves2000

Post by jakereaves2000 »

Thanks for the responses. My family and I just moved to Panama City from Texas. I have spent some time fishing apalachicola “area” about 10 yrs ago. It’s mind boggling to me that the fish don’t hang around there longer with all the bait that is on the beaches. I’ve fished in Louisiana a bunch for tarpon and the characteristics are very similar. I made a trip over about a week ago and the water was dirty coming out of the passes with all the rain but solid menhaden and pretty water on the beach. If you found that in Texas or Louisiana right now it would be loaded with tarpon.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Welcome to the area... Ladyfish jokes aside, I don't target poons but I've seen a lot (and some big uns) around Carrabelle and can count on one hand the number I've seen around PC in over 40 years so if you find some please let us know where . :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
TroutTrent

Post by TroutTrent »

A few weeks back I was in Carrabelle fishing around ballast Cove and seen several jumping and a fellow and his Lady caught one about 2 hundred yards in front of me. Looked to be 60-70 lb. :thumbup: Good luck
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Juan wrote:Welcome to the area... Ladyfish jokes aside, I don't target poons but I've seen a lot (and some big uns) around Carrabelle and can count on one hand the number I've seen around PC in over 40 years so if you find some please let us know where . :-D
Largest poon I've seen was over by Tyndall about 8 yrs ago, we were in 2' of water and he swam right by us and almost sideways under the boat. Absolute dinosaur.

Still a few around here. Some focused areas, but most when (& where) you don't expect them

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image