East Point fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ropeman

East Point fishing

Post by ropeman »

I have never fished around the East Point area, but I have a weekend scheduled for the end of September. Hopefully the water temps will be a little lower by then because I don't want to go very far offshore. Are there any good spots to catch some inshore fish or close spots to catch some other species that I don't see in St Marks?
pastorterry

Re: East Point fishing

Post by pastorterry »

The last week of September last year we caught a lot of Trout at '2 mile pass'. We also did very well behind St. George from 'Rattle Snake Cove' and east on trout and Reds. Good Luck. the area around 2 Mile Pass is shallow!
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

pastorterry wrote: August 26th, 2021, 8:59 am The last week of September last year we caught a lot of Trout . . .
I did a few searches before posting and saw your posts from last year. I'll have to look around the back side of SGI for sure!
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

This is just me but I'd launch at the county ramp just west of Apalachicola (by the airport), net bait on the sand bar at the northeast corner of St. Vincent Island and then work the St. Vincent dry bar for Reds. After that move out West Pass for who knows what and then try for Trout on the backside of Little St. George.

Day two I'd launch at the SGI State Park and fish my way to the pass between St. George and Dog Islands.

But I've also had fun launching at the city dock and working my way into the Apalachicola River distributaries which are an amazing world of their own.

Never done much in East Point proper maybe I've been missing out! Good luck.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

squiffynole wrote: August 28th, 2021, 7:00 pm. . . launch at the county ramp just west of Apalachicola (by the airport), . . .
I will be staying at the Sportsman's Lodge and launching from their dock each day. It doesn't seem like a very long ride to any of the spots you mentioned. That was the plan I had started in my head, day 1 St Vincent, day 2 SGI, day 3 Dog Is area.

Thanks for the info!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'd hit the oyster bar in East Bay about 1/4 mile due west of the lodge for trout and black drum, then there's another on the other side of the bridge for sand trout.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Juan wrote: September 13th, 2021, 5:35 pm I'd hit the oyster bar in East Bay about 1/4 mile due west of the lodge for trout and black drum, then there's another on the other side of the bridge for sand trout.
I'll have to look around for that because it's not on the Navionics chart and can't see it on google maps.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

PM sent... I hope you aren't staying in room 14. It might be haunted. :roll:
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Juan wrote: September 15th, 2021, 1:59 pm PM sent... I hope you aren't staying in room 14. It might be haunted. :roll:
Thanks for the info! Seems like an interesting story there :)
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Good luck! Not sure I remember the room # correctly but there was a young lady murdered in one of the rooms back in 2018.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Had a great time exploring around East Point this past weekend. The water was black coffee or dark chocolate milk depending on where we went. I got to see the Gov Cut by boat and realized how small my boat is when we exited the cut to some 4-6' swells. We didn't fish real hard and only caught catfish and 1 small trout. Most of the catfish were large, but I didn't feel like keeping any to eat. We did come home with a few blue crabs, several missing a claw one with both missing.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Word is they are about to dredge around Eastpoint. Last time they did was in 1985.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Red Beard wrote: September 29th, 2021, 9:58 am Word is they are about to dredge around Eastpoint. Last time they did was in 1985.
https://www.franklincounty.news/stories ... dging,5463
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I didn't get all the way around to the East Point channel, but coming out of Indian Creek into the bay was very shallow. I couldn't find a deeper spot so I just idled out about 300 yards until I got in deeper water.
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

ropeman wrote: October 1st, 2021, 9:36 am I didn't get all the way around to the East Point channel, but coming out of Indian Creek into the bay was very shallow. I couldn't find a deeper spot so I just idled out about 300 yards until I got in deeper water.
So much to see in that area! In a dream summer a few years ago we had access to a beach house on St. George and went wild including a bad time at low tide in choppy water at that Indian Creek ramp. In any case congratulations on your visit. :D