Chain Castnets?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GusMccrae

Chain Castnets?

Post by GusMccrae »

I will be buying a new bag net later in the year. Does anyone have experience with castnets that have chain on the bottom instead of lead? If so, please share thoughts.
thank you
Red Beard

Re: Chain Castnets?

Post by Red Beard »

GusMccrae wrote:I will be buying a new bag net later in the year. Does anyone have experience with castnets that have chain on the bottom instead of lead? If so, please share thoughts.
thank you
I could be wrong here, but I believe the chain nets are used more for shrimping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I recently wasted money on a 7ft chain net (not a bag net, but a standard draw net with lead lines). Seemed like a great idea, but the chain links were way too light to get a full spread. I guess it could work, but I suggest you make sure that the chain yields a weight of at least close to 1lb per radius foot of net. Mine only has about half that, which is just not enough to pull the net fully open.

However, hanging on our arbor in the back yard, it does give my wife's garden a nice nautical theme...
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

thanks for info guys
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Did you ever buy one, now that you did the Panacea trip? It always looked like a good idea that could be made quicker and cheaper than the normal castnets. And the chain would help with tangles I would think if it were rigged like Gary said and not so tight.