Lake Seminole Navigational Hazards (stumps!)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KayakMacGyver

Lake Seminole Navigational Hazards (stumps!)

Post by KayakMacGyver »

On a recent trip to Alaska, our boat came with a navionics chip that had individual hazards marked pretty darn well. It didn't cover every single rock, but it was good enough to give me alot of confidence in that product.

Does anyone run the Garmin Navionics lake chip for the eastern U.S and have experience with it on Lake Seminole? It's a $200 investment and I'd sure love to know if it is going to give me the navigational insight (stump locations) I'm looking for.

I am aware Lake Seminole is covered in hazards and no product is perfect, just looking for a leg up.

Thanks
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Lake Seminole Navigational Hazards (stumps!)

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Have you looked at the online navonics chart viewer to see if it shows them? I've used lake master before for Seminole but not navonics.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

I'd like to know that too. This summer I've launched at River Junction, what is now called Mac's Point and once from the Bainbridge Boat Basin which made more a long (but pretty) run to the lake. My generic Navionics only shows areas of "flooded timber" so I stay in the marked channels or at idle speed. The stumps are bad and hydrilla thick but still its an interesting place I really like the cut through channel up to Spring Creek.

squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

bbb

Post by bbb »

I have a Garmin 94sv with a Lake Seminole chip in it. Not sure the exact chip, but it shows me more than I care to know.

Would I trust it to run outside the channel markers? No way. I’ve been riding around the lake 20 years now. Mostly with a surface drive and I feel pretty confident riding in it. Would I take an outboard through those same paths? Nope

There are very few places where you can run outside the channel anyways without a surface drive and even then you feel a bump every now and then from either a submerged log or a 12’ alligator. Not sure which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bman

Post by bman »

and the logs float and move after every big storm!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"