Panacea wading?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GusMccrae

Panacea wading?

Post by GusMccrae »

Will be in Panacea this weekend and would like to castnet for some mullet. Have been to the state park and tried wading in bay. That place is a mudpit and you sink to your knees if your not on an oyster bar. Does anyone know any other areas I should look at with public access that might yield some mullet? (would be willing to drive a little from Panacea).
thanks
FishWithChris

Re: Panacea wading?

Post by FishWithChris »

Bottoms Road

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

FishWithChris wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:21 pm Bottoms Road

Thanks Chris. That place does look fishy. Will definitely check it out.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

FishWithChris wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:21 pm Bottoms Road
X2
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Check out skipper bay rd too.. Next road eastbound.
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

procraftwes wrote: September 10th, 2021, 3:02 pm Check out skipper bay rd too.. Next road eastbound.
Thank you. Will check out.
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Is skippers road passable? I’ve read different things online. Either in normal times or after rain like we’ve had?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

Go about half way down Bottoms Road and try the old seineyard on the left.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Like every fall I’m planning on trying castnetting mullet from the beach which I’ve never done before. I’ve never been able to up and go because my line of works turns on like a switch. It goes from dead to booming. I hope you post a report!
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

Guys, I apologize for not getting in here to report on my day. Simply put, wind was too bad the day I went. Had I been able to get there at daylight, it would have likely been more productive. But I didn't even throw much.
Not being familiar with the area, I did walk from the boat ramp on Bottom Rd along the shore towards mainland and found a creek that I believe would be productive at correct tide. Should have explored more going out towards flats.

Skipper Bay Rd was passable quite a ways in. But some locals looked to have the road blocked so I just turned around.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

GusMccrae wrote:... I did walk from the boat ramp on Bottom Rd along the shore towards mainland and found a creek that I believe would be productive at correct tide. Should have explored more going out towards flats.
You got it, go left, step carefully, and tighten those shoes/boots. It gets super muddy and you'll get knee deep in much in some areas. I have a pair of flops and one shoe still sunk out there

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

A local told me if you cross the bridge, turn on Alligator point rd, there's a trail a little ways down that goes to your right. I think he called it Turkey Lake. Said that was where to go for mullet. Said people launched kayaks in there. I did not have time to explore.
bbb

Panacea wading?

Post by bbb »

GusMccrae wrote:A local told me if you cross the bridge, turn on Alligator point rd, there's a trail a little ways down that goes to your right. I think he called it Turkey Lake. Said that was where to go for mullet. Said people launched kayaks in there. I did not have time to explore.
Looks like a left turn off Alligator Pt road then its down on the right. Tucker Lake. Fed by a pretty good sized creek coming off the bay. We have worked this creek at night for flounder. Remember seeing some good sized redfish in there.

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Tucker lake is not a spot to wade, yes I’ve done it in winter; but I’m crazy and went to public schools. But the lake has a boggy mud bottom, and is known to have a healthy gator population. I would recommend hitting bald point at a low tide and walking the oyster bars, they can produce some quality fish.

BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I went to Bottoms Rd for the first time ever today and there was water across the road and a few eating size but not huge mullet jumping far from the road. I abandoned mullet fishing pretty fast with that. There was a local guy ditch fishing and he said he usually does aight but wasn’t sure what the problem was today. He wasn’t fishing at that spillway so is that overrated or was this not a schooled local? I threw a Gulp in there and on the first throw lost what I’m just telling myself was a big, darker than usual Ladyfish and not a Trout. Then I caught a Toadfish then nothing else. I figured high tide would have been best so’s the fish would have came in close but I didn’t know there was that much more water coming up the sides compared to a place like Wakulla Beach.