gulp $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dropaline

gulp $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post by dropaline »

need to get some z man to last a little longer what do yall recommend for st marks area?
doomtrpr_z71

Re: gulp $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Sexy mullet or iguana daiquiri are my go to colors unless it's shrimp then I do the ez shrimp in sexy penny or Laguna shrimp

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Unfairlures shrimp and other plastics last long like the zman.u can get em at crums,Jr's aucilla store and gulf coast In woodville. Try some of the glow ones in the darker water.
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

thanks for all the feedback going to the store.
chickory

Post by chickory »

Concerning the pros/cons of the disparate soft baits, Gulp is biodegradable, as are Fishbites, whereas Z-man is not. They claim their baits float, do not accumulate on the bottom, so easier to find and dispose. Regardless, more plastic in the ocean, and likely more fish dying when they swallow a piece. The seas are awash in plastic, no need to add more.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Z-man baits do float. I have picked one up that a fish pulled off, put it back on the jig, and continued fishing numerous times. I often fish the same bait on multiple trips. I would argue that one bait that is nearly indestructible vs 5 packs of lost gulps per trip might make Z-man the more environmentally friendly choice.

Are the lost gulps in a fish's gut, are they on the bottom, how long to biodegrade.....a week or 5 years? They don't biodegrade in the trash do they? I see guys throwing double handfuls into the ramp trash can.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I would agree with that, the only thing that puts a dent in a zman is a puffer. You can use a zman a lot longer plus it's not like a gulp package is biodegradable and it'll take a lot of packs of gulp to match the fish caught on a pack of zmans.

leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Q: So your baits are biodegradable. How long do they really stick around?
A: “That all depends on the environment. In a well-run landfill, a Gulp! bait will be gone in 8 to 10 months. In saltwater, they generally last one to two years, and about the same or a little less in fresh, again depending on current, water clarity and temperature.”

This is from this interesting Q&A with the creator of gulp.
https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fi ... mself/?amp
chickory

Post by chickory »

I'll take the 2-3 yrs for Gulp to decompose vs. hundreds of years, or more, for plastic lures. Bear in mind that there are approximately 60 million recreational anglers in the U.S( one can only guess how many use plastic baits), but that's likely a boatload of plastic hitting our waters

Here is the summary of a 2014 study:
https://aces.illinois.edu/news/new-rese ... stic-lures
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

chickory wrote:I'll take the 2-3 yrs for Gulp to decompose vs. hundreds of years, or more, for plastic lures. Bear in mind that there are approximately 60 million recreational anglers in the U.S( one can only guess how many use plastic baits), but that's likely a boatload of plastic hitting our waters

Here is the summary of a 2014 study:
https://aces.illinois.edu/news/new-rese ... stic-lures
I'm guessing you've never used zman baits

redcodefsu

Post by redcodefsu »

Last weekend I was fishing in the St. Marks River and a pack of Gulp floated up to my boat. Saved me $7
2003 Key West 1720
2004 90 hp 2-stroke Yamaha
1950's Grumman 17' Double Ender
dropaline

Post by dropaline »

go buy yourself a lottery ticket with that luck you have a real good chance!!
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

Did they look kinda like a shrimp, about 3" long and say GULP on the package? I have been looking for those I will PM you an address you can send them to. I will pay up to $1 postage of course.