Sign the Pledge

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bangillnets

Sign the Pledge

Post by Bangillnets »

North Carolina is one of the only states left in the US which still allows commercial fishermen to use gill nets. Gill nets lead to the incidental capture and killing of countless redfish, flounder, speckled trout, and many other species. I am working through Eckerd College with 2 of my peers to bring about a change to this. By signing the pledge linked below, you are committing yourself to only buying sustainably caught seafood. Thank you for signing, let’s save our fish!

https://chng.it/S7YMhnCDWR
Follow @bangillnets on instagram to stay updated
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Sign the Pledge

Post by Juan »

Thanks, but I'll pass.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

I’ll pass, too.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Bang ill nets? No thank you!
Limitless

Post by Limitless »

Hey champ, what does "bang ill nets" mean??
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Limitless wrote: December 4th, 2021, 9:52 am Hey champ, what does "bang ill nets" mean??
Something similar to “glory hole” that was referenced in that thread :-D :-D :-D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks ban, that’s really important work you are doing for recreational fishermen. Even if they don’t know it. The redfish and trout catches exploded after the Florida gill net ban. Signed and shared. Thanks again
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

So I'm pledging to never again buy seafood in a supermarket, order seafood in a restaurant, eat at Capt. D's or Long John Silvers or even order a fillet of fish at Mickey D's? :-D
Gill nets should be (and are in most if not all states) prohibited for use for recreational fishing these days but commercially they are needed to fulfil the public's demand for seafood. That may not be important to us on a fishing forum who "usually" catch our own but without the commercial fisheries, a lot of people would never taste or afford seafood. Nets are highly regulated and no longer pose the threat to other fish the way they did many years ago when anyone could own a gill net and even if I agreed with it, I have a problem signing a pledge on the internet posted as a very first post on a fishing forum. :hammer:

Let the shots begin... :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Juan wrote:So I'm pledging to never again buy seafood in a supermarket, order seafood in a restaurant, eat at Capt. D's or Long John Silvers or even order a fillet of fish at Mickey D's? :-D
Gill nets should be (and are in most if not all states) prohibited for use for recreational fishing these days but commercially they are needed to fulfil the public's demand for seafood. That may not be important to us on a fishing forum who "usually" catch our own but without the commercial fisheries, a lot of people would never taste or afford seafood. Nets are highly regulated and no longer pose the threat to other fish the way they did many years ago when anyone could own a gill net and even if I agreed with it, I have a problem signing a pledge on the internet posted as a very first post on a fishing forum. :hammer:

Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

well said Juan
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: December 5th, 2021, 6:58 pm So I'm pledging to never again buy seafood in a supermarket, order seafood in a restaurant, eat at Capt. D's or Long John Silvers or even order a fillet of fish at Mickey D's? :-D

Out of curiosity, what species of fish are we talking about? Mullet? Is the bycatch of juvi trout, reds and flounder worth a commercial mullet fishery? Especially when most is exported to china. When’s the last time anyone on this forum bought mullet?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator wrote:
Juan wrote: December 5th, 2021, 6:58 pm So I'm pledging to never again buy seafood in a supermarket, order seafood in a restaurant, eat at Capt. D's or Long John Silvers or even order a fillet of fish at Mickey D's? :-D

Out of curiosity, what species of fish are we talking about? Mullet? Is the bycatch of juvi trout, reds and flounder worth a commercial mullet fishery? Especially when most is exported to china. When’s the last time anyone on this forum bought mullet?
Ride down to a local fish market and ask them how often mullet is bought or the phone rings and a customer ask for it. I’ll answer, and let you know it’s a lot. Everyday every hour.

rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Somewhat humorous to me to see gill nets and fisheries issues being discussed here on the "look at all the meat I bought home" forum.

That jab aside gill/entanglement nets are indiscriminate in the fish they capture. Many of the fish suffocate while the net is set and retrieved. So if you inadvertently get trout or reds in your gill net you are probably going to kill some of them.

The current law in Florida allows cast or seine nets that allow for the live release of any fish not legal to harvest. Theoretically at least.

While I worked to pass the original Ban the Nets amendment and still support that wholeheartedly I would not sign a pledge like this one. Your efforts should be at the legislative level to prohibit the use of gill nets not at the consumer food level. In my humble opinion.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Red Beard wrote: December 6th, 2021, 10:54 am
Salty Gator wrote:

Ride down to a local fish market and ask them how often mullet is bought or the phone rings and a customer ask for it. I’ll answer, and let you know it’s a lot. Everyday every hour.

they are bought a lot around here, but they were not caught in a gill net.