Reef Fishing advice request

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Leoparddog

Reef Fishing advice request

Post by Leoparddog »

This weekend looks like the GOM will be pretty calm with light winds and I was thinking about taking the Mrs out of Carrabelle to visit some of the reefs there and try to catch some grouper. This will be our first attempt and was hoping to get some advice on bait or lures to take with us. I have some trolling plugs (Nomad DTX) and have a few drop rigs tied up for cut or live bait. I'd like to go see the O Tower barge if it is a calm day and we can make the run pretty fast, but other suggestions for reefs would be appreciated as well.
Limitless

Re: Reef Fishing advice request

Post by Limitless »

I know you'll get several helpful replies, but here's mine: Try to catch pinfish on the grass flats, assuming you have a live well, if not frozen or fresh squid or cigar minnows will work. Get one of the available public reef lists with GPS numbers and start dropping on some of them from 50' on out. While you're looking for those numbers keep an eye on your sonar, there's often good hard bottom in the area. There is also a lot of "honey comb" hard bottom that doesn't show relief but holds grouper and snapper. Use the lightest weight you need to get down and 4 or 5 feet of fluorocarbon leader. Good luck and hope to see some great pics when you post about your trip.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

This time of year, catching pinfish on the flats is not guaranteed. Be sure to take a box of frozen LYs, cigar minnows, or mackerel with you.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

Struck out on the grouper today using frozen cigar minnows. Plenty of bait stealers but did catch one nice Red Snapper. Too bad its not Snapper season. Wife wants to fish again tomorrow so we are taking the kayaks down to St. Marks.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

I went fishing for grouper south of Dog Island on Saturday. The bite was slow but we did manage to boat three grouper. The biggest one was 32 inches long. We were mostly using frozen LYs cut in half for bait and we would use a little piece of squid to help the LYs stay on the hook.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

John21:6 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 7:13 pm I went fishing for grouper south of Dog Island on Saturday. The bite was slow but we did manage to boat three grouper. The biggest one was 32 inches long. We were mostly using frozen LYs cut in half for bait and we would use a little piece of squid to help the LYs stay on the hook.
We may have crossed paths then at the dock or the water. Me and the Admiral were in a black Sportsman towed by a blue Jeep Gladiator.