Airboats in the St. Marks Refuge.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

leonreno

Re: Airboats in the St. Marks Refuge.

Post by leonreno »

eightwt wrote: December 9th, 2021, 2:33 pm What I don’t get, is that they run the same water the rest of us navigate. What’s the point? I always thought they were made for gliding through the marsh… maybe I’m missing something..
My thought too.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

FM.......If you knew me (we don't live far apart) you would know I'm a defender of little old ladies everywhere. What I can't stand is someone who flaunts the local fish and wildlife laws, often bragging about it. That person is stealing from me and my son, and his son too.

I plan to stop in at the refuge office and see if I can get a clear picture of what's legal and what's not.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

I will agree with you concerning the people who flagrantly violate the laws. I'm sure you've heard the stories about people renting at keaton getting 10 gallons of scallops in the morning and going back out for 10 more in the afternoon. People keeping undersized fish. I get it, but I'd much rather see those limited police resources going after those people poaching than chasing an airboat. Quite frankly, I think you'll be wasting your time. I have a couple boats and I kayak as well. When I take my kayak on many of,the rivers like the lower St. Marks, Wakulla, the Suwannee, I know I am going to contend with boaters, some respectful, others love to throw a wake blasting GnR as they blast by. I also know there's some quiet places I can go for some peace. There's lots of water out there. I respect the fact you have convictions, there's lots of battles out there to choose from though. Tight lines and good fishing.
TheReelPapaSquat

I will agree with you concerning the people who flagrantly violate the laws. I'm sure you've heard the stories about people renting at keaton getting 10 gallons of scallops in the morning and going back out for 10 more in the afternoon. People keeping undersized fish. I get it, but I'd much rather see those limited police resources going after those people poaching than chasing an airboat. Quite frankly, I think you'll be wasting your time. I have a couple boats and I kayak as well. When I take my kayak on many of,the rivers like the lower St. Marks, Wakulla, the Suwannee, I know I am going to contend with boaters, some respectful, others love to throw a wake blasting GnR as they blast by. I also know there's some quiet places I can go for some peace. There's lots of water out there. I respect the fact you have convictions, there's lots of battles out there to choose from though. Tight lines and good fishing.
TheReelPapaSquat

Sorry about the accidental double post
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Fish Masterson wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:20 pm Well, I'm certainly glad that you've decided that you will put up with someone, as long as they are legal. I guess little old ladies in the grocery isle on slow-ped motorized scooters will be safe from your wrath, as long as they didn't double park.
I do feel safer knowing you are lurking about, waiting on a perpetrator to be born by crossing the line. We should all be as dillegent!
Airboaters= azzholes
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Fish Masterson wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:20 pm Well, I'm certainly glad that you've decided that you will put up with someone, as long as they are legal. I guess little old ladies in the grocery isle on slow-ped motorized scooters will be safe from your wrath, as long as they didn't double park.
I do feel safer knowing you are lurking about, waiting on a perpetrator to be born by crossing the line. We should all be as dillegent!
If you spent as much time in the refuge as Rocky amd I, you would care about it also. It’s a wildlife refuge, not a dirt bag airboat trail
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

So everyone in an airboat is a dirtbag ? Really ?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:59 am So everyone in an airboat is a dirtbag ? Really ?
No not really. But definitely loud and annoying. Some would say selfish
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

I reckon I'm a dirt bag, so be it! I sure loved mine, so did my boy. I don't have it anymore, but I will have another one that's bigger and more annoying one day!!! See ya on the water!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I don't have a dog in this hunt but imo there's nothing wrong with air boats as long as they're operating within the law. If you think they're loud, you should hear the Navy's hydrofoils over this way.
20210714_115648.jpg
Air boats aren't restricted to the marshes any more than flats boats are restricted to the flats or bay boats to only the bay. I don't own one but I've ridden in and fished in places you wouldn't think possible from my brother in law's air boat and it's a blast. He also stores his dynamite, gill nets and shock generator onboard. :-D
162.jpg
162.jpg (44.8 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I like airboats when I am on them. Otherwise I can't stand em. Loud and obnoxious. But I feel that way about guys that "trick" out their trucks to be loud and obnoxious and "cool" sounding.

I liked using an airboat when I could.....but once it was sold, my heart wasn't broken.

I think airboaters are just like all other boaters. There are some that are complete jerkwads and then others that are as respectful as can be.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

RiverRunner wrote: December 10th, 2021, 11:26 amI reckon I'm a dirt bag, so be it! I sure loved mine, so did my boy. I don't have it anymore, but I will have another one that's bigger and more annoying one day!!! See ya on the water!
You, a dirt bag? :lol:
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Salty Gator wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:34 am

Airboaters= azzholes
WOW... not surprised, but WOW....
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

No dog in the fight. I have ran across a few airboats and heard a lot of them. If they are legal, on legal waters they have as much right to be there as anyone else. Personally I think they are loud and annoying and made for swamps/marshes not deeper waters. I wish they would stay in the bushes but that is only my opinion. Trying being in a duck blind off the White River and hearing an airboat coming upriver for 15 minutes and after it passes for 15 minutes, now that's annoying.