Airboats in the St. Marks Refuge.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: Airboats in the St. Marks Refuge.

Post by GaryDroze »

Regarding earlier discussion on this thread: I was chatting with an FWC officer who was checking licenses at the SMNWR Friday. He stated that airboats are NOT prohibited in the Refuge; they just can't launch at the Lighthouse Ramp.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Good to know, however FWC is a state agency and the refuge is has it’s own federal law enforcement. I wouldn’t count on an fwc officer to know the law. No offense to fwc, but they don’t seem to have a consistent firm grasp of the regs
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Good point, SG. But from a practical stance, the only law enforcement I ever encounter at the Refuge is FWC. So, even if they are a bit off base, they are calling the shots. Not complaining about FWC, but this does explain both airboats AND the new trend of folks who zip past me on the levees with electric ATBs and scooters, while I am hiking or old-school pedaling. Signs clearly say no motorized vehicles, but FWC officers told me they don't want to get into a fight over definition of a bike. Some consolation is knowing those cozy electric rides won't survive many trips in a saltwater environment.
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

I can't tell you the number of times I've cut the motor on my skiff and poles to the spot I knew held fish outside a creek, or by the bars and some jack rabbit blows thru and cuts in front of me. Honestly, it's been the decked out sniffs with powerlines etc. More often than not, with the occasional job boat thrown in. I used to take it personal, but have learned over the years people just arnt as conscientious as they used to be. I also hike, and when you use the drone example see the point about airboats in the refuge. When you try to get away into something unspoiled, I can't stand to hear a drone buzzing around somewhere. I don't have anything against an airboat,they have their place, and many of my friends own one, but maybe some places should be held to a more sacred level. The Gulf is a big placeand I think we can all share it with others who boat and fish a little different than we do. We just need to look out for one another and not throw wakes over each others bow. Don't forget, wave to the seatow captain (shout out to redbeard).
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Sorry, skiffs with powerpoles. Dadgummed autocorrect. I'll spell check from now on
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I must give credit where credit is due.

Three days ago, with forecast negative tides and a strong north wind, I biked/hiked to one of my favorite St Marks Refuge creeks. Expected to have it to myself, given the conditions. Just as I got set up, the angry blast of an airboat at the creek mouth killed my solitude buzz. But wait...

As soon as the airboat pilot saw me, he feathered down, and gently ambled past me. We exchanged polite waves. For the helluva it, I cast right behind his tiny wake, and connected with a Big Bertha seatrout. As in 28 inches. Will try to post the pic tomorrow, if I can figure out how to download from my new camera. Released mama trout, and gave a huge thank you wave to the airboaters. The 4-seater boat had a FL registration.

This experience reminded me to keep an open mind, regardless of past experiences.
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

GaryDroze wrote: January 6th, 2022, 8:29 pm I must give credit where credit is due.

Three days ago, with forecast negative tides and a strong north wind, I biked/hiked to one of my favorite St Marks Refuge creeks. Expected to have it to myself, given the conditions. Just as I got set up, the angry blast of an airboat at the creek mouth killed my solitude buzz. But wait...

As soon as the airboat pilot saw me, he feathered down, and gently ambled past me. We exchanged polite waves. For the helluva it, I cast right behind his tiny wake, and connected with a Big Bertha seatrout. As in 28 inches. Will try to post the pic tomorrow, if I can figure out how to download from my new camera. Released mama trout, and gave a huge thank you wave to the airboaters. The 4-seater boat had a FL registration.

This experience reminded me to keep an open mind, regardless of past experiences.
Like!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

014.JPG
014.JPG
Hope these pix show up. 24 inch redfish and 28 inch trout, both caught within minutes after the airboat courteously throttled back as soon as the driver saw me wadefishing from the shallow muddy bank. Apologies for poor quality on the trout photo, but I needed to get her back into the creek ASAP. The red ended up in my cast iron skillet, blackened!
Attachments
010.JPG