Airboats in the St. Marks Refuge.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Re: Airboats in the St. Marks Refuge.

Post by Fish Masterson »

Untitled_design_-_2020-01-04T144218.447_900x.png
rockyg wrote: December 9th, 2021, 5:23 pm FM.......If you knew me (we don't live far apart) you would know I'm a defender of little old ladies everywhere. What I can't stand is someone who flaunts the local fish and wildlife laws, often bragging about it. That person is stealing from me and my son, and his son too.

I plan to stop in at the refuge office and see if I can get a clear picture of what's legal and what's not.
I agree. Nobody likes a poacher. I guess we seem to disagree on the allowable decibel level for people in the wild. I'm not obtuse to the fact that they are obnoxiously loud, but they have many upsides. I would prefer to sip my coffee without hearing one, but would love to be on one while trying to gig a frog, or cast net a mullet or even to slip into a creek on low tide.
As anglers, we need to realize that half or more people on this rock want us all shut down. We really need to accept each others different methods and all have each others back.
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Most of the airboats I see, especially in central and south aren’t fishermen. Have y’all ever been to lake Kissimmee? None of the guys running airboats on lake iammoia in the winter are fishing.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I’ve never personally had any issue with folks on airboats or jet skis here. I have had problems with boats and the occupants not paying attention and nearly hitting me or blowing out a fishing hole on entry and exit. I can see where the author is coming from, but none of us own the water nor can any of us make someone else behave accordingly.

And remember… wave to the sea tow guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote: December 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm I’ve never personally had any issue with folks on airboats or jet skis here. I have had problems with boats and the occupants not paying attention and nearly hitting me or blowing out a fishing hole on entry and exit. I can see where the author is coming from, but none of us own the water nor can any of us make someone else behave accordingly.

And remember… wave to the sea tow guy!

We don’t own the water, but there are rules in the refuge. No drones is one, and if airboats aren’t supposed to be there, then they shouldn’t be there
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I second Salty Gator's comment. As an extreme low tide hiker in the SMNWR tidal creeks, I have witnessed airboats ramming through an inch of water in those waterways. I could certainly be wrong (happy to accept corrections), but always wondered if the bottom grass that airboats pummeled was incurring permanent damage.

While wading, I notice many swaths cut through otherwise complete grass beds in the Refuge. Guessing they are from airboats, mudboats, or vessels with props that dig into the bottom. Not trying to pick a fight, just wondering if that could be an impact on health of the creeks. Probably, the only legit response will come from a biologist.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I’m with you Salty Gator, laws aren’t followed by everyone.

Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

For me, THE NOISE THEY MAKE IS BEYOND OBNOXIOUS.

That is all.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Got one, use it for multiple purposes. Your approval is not required! :lol:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

MudDucker wrote: December 19th, 2021, 8:50 am Got one, use it for multiple purposes. Your approval is not required! :lol:
IEAZZoIVpwkyHrAVNItI.gif
IEAZZoIVpwkyHrAVNItI.gif (13.02 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote: December 19th, 2021, 8:50 am Got one, use it for multiple purposes. Your approval is not required! :lol:
No one said we needed to approve. We all just said we don’t like you
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

My give a dang meter registers 0.0000 about whether you like me or not! :smt005
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

:-D
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

Salty Gator wrote: December 19th, 2021, 10:11 am
No one said we needed to approve. We all just said we don’t like you
We ALL? Thanks for speaking for others whom definitely do not share your opinion! :roll:
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

It seems like the same couple of people always respond to this airboats post all huffy and puffy like, that pops up every so often. This is never about “people in airboats.” It’s about fools in airboats. If it’s clearly not about you I don’t know why you’d get that huffy and puffy. There is nothing worse than a fool in an airboat. Meanwhile I’m not so dumb that I don’t realize judgement has been passed on a fat boy with a jonboat in the back of the truck a time or 2 but it doesn’t apply to me so I don’t care. Besides I know they can’t all be trusted lol!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We were fishing in the refuge on Sunday. We’d spent at least 30 min using the tm to get to the flat that we wanted to pole. We were in about 8” of water, silently poling. We were about 100 yards from the bank poling perpendicular to the shore. Then capt airboat came flying by. And of course, instead of going behind us, he runs right in front of our line and right his creek mouth. No consideration to when we were doing, we may as well not been there at all. I waved him over and explained that we were fishing silently and his boat blew out the flat we were working. He then said if his boat didn’t catch fish, he would t be in it. He was completely oblivious to our situation, and truly didn’t believe he did anything wrong. He was old enough to know how to be polite on the water. , just didn’t care to. I stand by my statements on air boat “ captains”. I’m sure there is a considerate one somewhere, I’ve just never seen one.