East River Spillway

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

East River Spillway

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m down here now on foot for the first time ever, and I chose low tide in the wind to visit this in because I’m really smart. Can you catch Reds, Trout or Sheep’s at the spillway at high tide? Or anything else?

I caught a small Shellcracker of all things on a live worm and I’m pretty sure I seen some little mullet turning out in the deep part past the rocks.
Leoparddog

Re: East River Spillway

Post by Leoparddog »

I don't have an answer, as I haven't fished that spot but Reds and Trout can be caught in other creeks in the refuge. I'd suggest hiking some of the creeks and berms further downstream.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

That's an easy launch spot for a kayak or canoe near the origin of the East River. One of the few spots I kayak fish around either side of high tide. Some overslot trout will swim that far up from the bay on a big tide, but I have never caught a red over 21" there. Old-timers tell me the sheepshead bite well close to where you tried, but I have so far blanked on them. Sheepies are likely in there now in this cold weather, but you need to know how to catch them (I don't).
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Cool. I ended up going over to the Pinhook Sinks and caught some good Stumpknockers and Warmouth. Nothing major but it shook off the cobwebs.