Price of Gulp 3" Shrimp where you shop?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Price of Gulp 3" Shrimp where you shop?

Post by Steve Stinson »

I stopped in Academy Sporting Goods this afternoon to pick up some tackle and drop an Amazon return off at the UPS store next door. I was surprised to find the Gulp 3" shrimp at Academy have gone up to $7.99 per pack. What is the price where you normally shop?

- Steve Stinson
cleanlivin

Re: Price of Gulp 3" Shrimp where you shop?

Post by cleanlivin »

Kevins at $ 5.99 for 3" shrimp
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I've sworn off gulp. When all the ones I have are gone I won't buy any more. Too expensive to get cut in half by puffers. :smt011
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Hit N Miss - That's why I was asking this question. $8 /pack is a bit much if you use 3-4 packs per outing. :thumbdown:

I remember a few years ago when Gulp softened up their baits so much they slung off the hook. I quit using them back then and I guess I am headed back that way.

- Steve Stinson
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I pay 5.99 at the sports center but I rarely will buy anything gulp since zman catch more fish and last a thousand times longer. I occasionally will fish with gulp flukes but I only throw the shrimp when I'm desperate and nothing will bite.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

dropaline

Post by dropaline »

$7.oo at wal mart i am not buying any more
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Steve Stinson wrote: May 9th, 2022, 4:52 pm Hit N Miss - That's why I was asking this question. $8 /pack is a bit much if you use 3-4 packs per outing. :thumbdown:

I remember a few years ago when Gulp softened up their baits so much they slung off the hook. I quit using them back then and I guess I am headed back that way.

- Steve Stinson
They used to be tough but when they went to the white backed packages that's when they got softer.
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

We went to Zman a couple of years ago and have had great success. We have caught up to 30 trout on one bait. The pin fish cannot tear them up. The puffers do occasionally tear one up. Haven't bought a Gulp in over 2 years. Z-Man has a few that are scented but we usually put Pro Cure on the unscented ones. The price works out because they last so long.
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I appreciate everybody's input. I will pick up some ZMan baits again. They were my fall-back bait before. I struggled some with keeping them on jig heads and then resorted to Super Glue on the hook shank. They also tend to float, so I remember going to heavier jig heads as well. :thumbup:

- Steve Stinson
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Get the zman trout eye jig heads and it helps them stay in place on the hook

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Stuff went to garbage when they changed their formula making em less durable so I switched to the unfairlures and some others where a pack lasts a few trips.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

i had to go downtown (Monticello) to the Clerk of Courts office yesterday to pull some copies of old plats. While there, I walked across the street to Trophy Creek Outfitters and spoke with J.T. Searles the owner. He confirmed that Gulp has gone way up on what they are charging the retailers for their product. He says he doesn't like to see anybody buy them any more because he doesn't make any money on them.

His price for a pack of 3" shrimp and most of the other Gulp products was $6.99 per pack, which is $1 cheaper than Academy.

I bought some Z Man baits, Z Man jig heads and some Procure to give that a try.

- Steve Stinson
deer30084

Post by deer30084 »

We all know why the cost of everything is going up. If I go on my rant here, I'll surely get kicked off this site. I'm gonna have to use my kayak more instead of my boat.