Fishing the wind

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cody0707

Fishing the wind

Post by cody0707 »

How do you fish the wind for those who fish out of micro skiffs? Or better yet do you have preferred areas you fish based on the direction the wind is blowing?

I have mainly been fishing out of St Marks and I like to run over towards Palmetto Island but I think I need to expand where I put in and where I fish based on the wind. I fish out of a 1548 SeaArk so I get beat around pretty good if I don't get out there on a day the wind isn't blowing 10-15.

I am looking for tips on how to maximize the days I am able to go fishing.
geofish

Re: Fishing the wind

Post by geofish »

I used to fish out of a 12 foot wooden jon boat I built, so I feel ya. One option is to launch at the lighthouse, turn right coming out of the canal and fish the bars or go up the East river and the creeks it connects to.
Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Had the same issue with my 14' Carolina Skiff j14. It was basically a fiberglass jon boat. Flat bottom and a wet, rough ride but it got me where I needed to be to catch lots of fish. It was a love hate relationship.
Anyway, putting in at Econfina can sometimes help. East and South winds are tough for small boats in our area. East River is an option. Good padding on your seats and a rain suit can be a help too.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

With that small of a boat there are two ramps you can use at Hickory Mound, one at Aucilla and one at Econfina. At Aucilla you can go halfway down river then cut through West Pass into Sulphur Bayou. There is a lot of creeks and sheltered water to explore back there. At Econfina you can get between the north shoreline and Possum Island then turn back toward the shore for more shelter.

Go slow with the motor trimmed up, avoid extreme low tides and remember that a hard wind from on shore to offshore will keep the water from coming in for a while. Your trolling motor and a push pole are your friends.

I fish all of these areas out of a SeaArk 2072 with a Yamaha 90 on it, but I am also the one looking for a new prop on this forum and running with part of a skeg. :o My SeaArk is wide enough to float if it bottoms out and then one person exits the boat to push. It is good etiquette If your fishing partner will also exit and help push, but some don't.

Hope this helps - Steve Stinson
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

For me it was getting into bass fishing for those windy days.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

It seems to be high winds every weekend these days. The best thing I ever did for wind was investing in a Power Pole. You can move along a bar or other structure, pole down, fish, then repeat. I have had mine for many years and seem to remember paying $1,400.00 for it at a CCA Banquet. I have no idea what they cost now.

- Steve Stinson
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The ramp at Shell Point is another option. You can go east or west depending on wind direction. The public ramp in Panacea will also put you in close proximity of Dickinson and Levy Bays, with plenty of oyster bars and structure that hold fish on occasion.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Sometimes I will travel to fish higher winds. If the winds are strong out of the west I try to fish the Carrabelle/Lanark areas, that way the wind is coming off land and the chop won’t be so bad. strong winds out of the east, I fish Keaton Beach area. Sting north winds you can fish St. Mark’s/Aucilla/Ecofina areas. Keep the wind coming off land and it makes for an easier day.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Well, true to form I fished the high winds again Saturday morning out of Econfina. We caught a good bag of trout, flounder, reds and seabass before the lightning showed up on two sides of us. At about 1:45 pm, we cranked up and made a run for cover. Got the boat on the trailer just as it was beginning to drizzle.

It was a great half-day of fishing, but I am sorry to report the catfish and remora's have returned in good numbers. I guess Summer is officially here. :thumbup:

Steve Stinson
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

silverking wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:09 pmThe ramp at Shell Point is another option.
The public ramp in Panacea will also put you in close proximity of Dickinson and Levy Bays,
Shell point is a good option, but I don't know much about the area. The public ramp in Panacea you mention must be Rock Landing? I've always wanted to launch from Bottoms Rd, but it looks pretty shallow.
Red Beard

Fishing the wind

Post by Red Beard »

Alright so here is my take.. not right for some but right for me..

Wind, a pain as it can be it’s not going to stop frustrating anglers anytime soon. And no matter where I fish there are wind/sea conditions that can still blow the spot up.

So I have two choices:

Make one long hard ride into the chop to the fishing spot I want to try. Than giving myself a smother drift/ride back. (Watch that wind; usually flips the script with a tide swing and you may get lucky and get back and forth without taking a beating)

Or chose not to fight the conditions and let the wind and current drift me about. Fishing with the wind to my back, and than using the TM to steer my heading. Finding new fish/territory along the way.
(Draw back your gonna have to go head first back into the chop your way back)

If your waiting on Mother Nature to play nice and create a great fishing day your never gonna leave the house. The best fishing days aren’t predicted they are experienced. Sometimes a change of mindset and or a change of the mission is what’s I’ve needed to make the most out of the day. If the fishing sucks, I put the time in exploring the new stuff.

Good Luck!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Good points. My nephew like to tell of his trip in the early spring where he was fishing his little 14" aluminum. He said they were bouncing around like a cork in the waves and absolutely tearing up the reds on a gold spoons. He said they only left because their trolling motor ran out of batteries from fighting the wind all day! He had no hopes when he arrived, but figured he had to at least try.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?