Tarpon Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JeffB
Site Sponsor

Tarpon Fishing

Post by JeffB »

Me and my brother want to book a tarpon fishing trip with somebody. Who would y'all recommend?
We both inshore fish for the usual's but just haven't ever tried to catch tarpon and I figured it would be
better to just hire someone to take us since I'm sure we don't have any equipment heavy enough to handle tarpon.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Jeff
Oh forgot to add, the Alligator Point, Lanark to Carrabelle area.
FlyrodC

Re: Tarpon Fishing

Post by FlyrodC »

Jeff, while I have very limited experience with Tarpon, if I was down in FLA in the area you're considering, the choice would be a no-brainer for me. Captain Scott Burgess takes out spin and fly casters and is top notch. You'll learn a ton and if there are fish around, he's dialed in on where they are.

Tell him Reuben sent ya. PM me if you have any further questions, his link is listed below.

https://www.skinnysituationcharters.com/about
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Thanks Reuben. I'll give him a call today.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

The guides generally want you to fly fish for the migrating Tarpon. They will eat a well presented fly WAY more often than any other bait or lure, live bait included. That may seem hard to believe but it is a fact.

That does not mean you can't catch one on bait yourself. Putting out a spread of pinfish or other live bait about 100 yards off the beach of Aligator Point beach will likely get you bit if you stay at it. You don't need really heavy tackle a rig with 200 yards of 40-pound braid will get it done nicely.

Stay far away from the Guide skiffs, most of those guys are type 1 a-holes and they will not hesitate to scream expletives at you if they perceive you are in their way.

And yes Showboat I was one of those tarpon skiff a-holes about 25 years ago so I'm speaking from experience not just promoting my pedigree. ;-)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Jay Carson dudewheresmyplugcharters and leif Lundquist with viking charters are on some.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Burgess can certainly "teach" someone how to run by on plane within a push pole length of someone else up on the poling platform, sight-fishing. Guess he was out that day they taught flats etiquette.

His territory is Keaton, but Capt. Jay Carson would be an excellent choice, Jeff. 850 Three Seven One 1022

Capt. Anthony Stone is another good one to the west (Lanark/Carrabelle) His number is 850 Five Two Eight 8868
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

John Swanson ( St Marks Pro ) is another tarpon guy out of St Marks-
All photos copyright @saverymill
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

silverking wrote: June 16th, 2022, 8:51 pm Burgess can certainly "teach" someone how to run by on plane within a push pole length of someone else up on the poling platform, sight-fishing. Guess he was out that day they taught flats etiquette.
Interesting comment. I've always respected you and your posts. I did spend a day with Burgess and didn't see the type of behavior you call out. I know a ton of guides in Montana and have high expectations of them and their etiquette. I can tell a good guide versus a suck guide. Perhaps Burgess matured and changed. I hope so but you'd likely know better than me.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FlyrodC wrote: June 17th, 2022, 5:59 pm Interesting comment. I've always respected you and your posts. I did spend a day with Burgess and didn't see the type of behavior you call out. I know a ton of guides in Montana and have high expectations of them and their etiquette. I can tell a good guide versus a suck guide. Perhaps Burgess matured and changed. I hope so but you'd likely know better than me.
Thank you, Rueben. I certainly hope so as well. The incident occurred three years ago when I was working tailing reds outside Stony Bayou. There was plenty of room/water depth to go way around me or better yet, come off plane and idle a reasonable distance away. That didn't happen. When I was guiding, I always approached fellow anglers with the Golden Rule. That wasn't the case that day.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

silverking wrote: June 16th, 2022, 8:51 pm Burgess can certainly "teach" someone how to run by on plane within a push pole length of someone else up on the poling platform, sight-fishing. Guess he was out that day they taught flats etiquette.

His territory is Keaton, but Capt. Jay Carson would be an excellent choice, Jeff. 850 Three Seven One 1022

Capt. Anthony Stone is another good one to the west (Lanark/Carrabelle) His number is 850 Five Two Eight 8868
Thanks silverking. I'll give both a call and see if we can get something lined up.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Srbenda wrote: June 17th, 2022, 11:49 am John Swanson ( St Marks Pro ) is another tarpon guy out of St Marks-
2nd on Capt. John but you probably can't get him. Will not disappoint. 850-326-7706