Florida Marine Tracks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CastTheFlats

Florida Marine Tracks

Post by CastTheFlats »

Any of ya'll running FMT? Curious to see how far along they are in our are of the Big Bend.
rockyg

Re: Florida Marine Tracks

Post by rockyg »

I have it on my flats skiff. Lowrance Elite 9. It's pretty darn accurate from what I can see. From St Marks to the west I would say it's not really that useful. From SM to the east it does a good job of showing some/most of the rocks and some routes to run. It's expensive but cheaper than a lower unit. I would use it as one of my navigation tools. Prudence, your eyes, and your brain are the best tools you have to keep from tearing a hole in your hull and/or knocking large parts of your motor off the transom. Be careful, go slow, check the tide and live to fish another day.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote: June 18th, 2022, 3:50 pm I have it on my flats skiff. Lowrance Elite 9. It's pretty darn accurate from what I can see. From St Marks to the west I would say it's not really that useful. From SM to the east it does a good job of showing some/most of the rocks and some routes to run. It's expensive but cheaper than a lower unit. I would use it as one of my navigation tools. Prudence, your eyes, and your brain are the best tools you have to keep from tearing a hole in your hull and/or knocking large parts of your motor off the transom. Be careful, go slow, check the tide and live to fish another day.

I didn’t think the Elite had a fast enough processor to run that chip. Maybe they beefed it up recently.

Op I’m running the chip not sure of the question. It runs from the flora Bama line all the way around the state. You can buy a north Florida, southe Florida or both. They recommended at least a 9” screen and not all lowrance units will run them. Look it up, the owner of fmt does great demos on you tube . I believe it’s under isla mapping. Let me know if you have any questions
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

I am familiar with the software, I guess I just wanted to see if they have updated our area from Apalachicola to Aucilla. Last time I checked on it they were still updating tracks here in the Big bend.
Curious how much trust you have with the current tracks..

Liam
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

CastTheFlats wrote: June 20th, 2022, 1:56 pm I am familiar with the software, I guess I just wanted to see if they have updated our area from Apalachicola to Aucilla. Last time I checked on it they were still updating tracks here in the Big bend.
Curious how much trust you have with the current tracks..

Liam
They did an update last year, but it was still good before that. The pics aren’t as good as the south Florida chip. My boat is in panacea, but I pulled my gps off last weekend. If you are interested is seeing it in person let me know. I have great trust in The tracks, but that’s only a small part, what you can see on the maps is really something. Much better pics than google earth.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

After reading this, and speaking with my old friend Rocky, I pulled the trigger on upgrading the Skeeter with the Lowrance HDS12 Live and the FMT chips for north and south Florida. I hope I'm as pleased with it as you guys using it are.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Sun Daze wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:32 am After reading this, and speaking with my old friend Rocky, I pulled the trigger on upgrading the Skeeter with the Lowrance HDS12 Live and the FMT chips for north and south Florida. I hope I'm as pleased with it as you guys using it are.
no doubt that you're going to love it, especially with that 12" big-screen.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image