Who’s scalloping/fishing over the 4th of July weekend?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishWithChris

Re: Who’s scalloping/fishing over the 4th of July weekend?

Post by FishWithChris »

rockyg wrote:
I started that day at 6:00 AM at the lighthouse ramp with 8 boats in front of me trying to launch in the dark with a rain shower just offshore. Ran to the East only to find two dudes in a Bird-dog mullet boat with a big azz net right in my target fishing spot. The net was at least 200' long in a big circle. They were picking gilled mullet and grass out of it as I eased up to them on the trolling motor. I said good morning and asked if that big azz net was a legal net? I could hear him cursing me for the next 15 minutes as I eased off to fish another spot. The last thing he said was "hurry up because that #$@##@@@#@ has probably already called FWC".

I did not call FWC, because I figured on a holiday weekend they needed to make sure everybody got home safely rather than chasing some dude around they probably already know about. .
The elusive mullet ninjas. Call that ish in every time.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
BloodyChamp

Re: Who’s scalloping/fishing over the 4th of July weekend?

Post by BloodyChamp »

I caught mullet legally and without a net even July 4 evening! I planned it around the crowds. Started that evening and fished til dark and caught 3. I then went yesterday and caught 6, and left with what was plenty. They were grouped up good and I could have caught 100.

Those mullet fishermen...I’ve said before that I’m on the fence about the net ban. I lean towards being in favor of it and 1 reason why is because every commercial mullet fisherman I’ve ever seen is cussing and fussing about something. I think the only words they know are cuss words. There always some plant based substance that’s not a vegetable hanging out there mouth and there’s something in a can or a bottle in their hands. Surely they’re not all like that but that’s all I ever seen.