Who’s scalloping/fishing over the 4th of July weekend?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Who’s scalloping/fishing over the 4th of July weekend?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Image”You didn’t see me. I am not the scallop you are looking for “………….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flatsbroke22

Re: Who’s scalloping/fishing over the 4th of July weekend?

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I’ll be as far away from the scallop grounds as I can get. Headed down to SGI to wet a hook.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I plan on being in the Grey Mare area Saturday around lunch. I'm going to drift around some to scout areas away from the crowd.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

flatsbroke22 wrote: June 28th, 2022, 6:52 pm I’ll be as far away from the scallop grounds as I can get. Headed down to SGI to wet a hook.
Good luck
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

ropeman wrote: June 29th, 2022, 9:40 am I plan on being in the Grey Mare area Saturday around lunch. I'm going to drift around some to scout areas away from the crowd.
Where are you gonna launch? Is the fort ramp still closed? Good luck.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m going somewhere the crowds won’t be. I haven’t decided where just yet.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

BloodyChamp wrote: June 29th, 2022, 8:12 pm I’m going somewhere the crowds won’t be. I haven’t decided where just yet.
Go get some good luck. :-D
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Hit-n-Miss wrote: Where are you gonna launch? Is the fort ramp still closed? Good luck.
Fort ramp is open. We used it last Sunday

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Hit-n-Miss wrote: June 29th, 2022, 2:17 pmWhere are you gonna launch? Is the fort ramp still closed? Good luck.
Most likely the Lighthouse, unless I can park my boat overnight at Shell Island.
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Looks like the weather is going to be really nasty. Heavy thunderstorms all weekend.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

PhishingNole wrote: July 1st, 2022, 8:42 am Looks like the weather is going to be really nasty. Heavy thunderstorms all weekend.

Went yesterday at Keaton 70% rain forcast. No rain and almost slick calm till we left around 3:30. Had a Great day. :-D
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

We got an early (ish) start on Saturday at 9:30 and hunted the elusive bay scallop until around 2. We found them very sparse close to the lighthouse and moved more east toward the old Grey Mare. As we moved east there were none to be found. Did anyone else have similar outcome?
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

ropeman wrote: July 5th, 2022, 8:42 am We got an early (ish) start on Saturday at 9:30 and hunted the elusive bay scallop until around 2. We found them very sparse close to the lighthouse and moved more east toward the old Grey Mare. As we moved east there were none to be found. Did anyone else have similar outcome?
Same here. Places where they were past years they aren't currently. Talked to a few who found big concentrations of them though. As one fella put it, when we found em they were everywhere.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

slow motion wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:11 amSame here. Places where they were past years they aren't currently. Talked to a few who found big concentrations of them though. As one fella put it, when we found em they were everywhere.
I think we were too shallow. I'm going to 5-7' of water next time we go out.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

My son went to SM on Sunday. After getting chased around by the rain storms the total for 3 boats was about 50 little bitty scallops, that they ended up releasing so they could get big enough to eat one day.

I started that day at 6:00 AM at the lighthouse ramp with 8 boats in front of me trying to launch in the dark with a rain shower just offshore. Ran to the East only to find two dudes in a Bird-dog mullet boat with a big azz net right in my target fishing spot. The net was at least 200' long in a big circle. They were picking gilled mullet and grass out of it as I eased up to them on the trolling motor. I said good morning and asked if that big azz net was a legal net? I could hear him cursing me for the next 15 minutes as I eased off to fish another spot. The last thing he said was "hurry up because that #$@##@@@#@ has probably already called FWC".

I did not call FWC, because I figured on a holiday weekend they needed to make sure everybody got home safely rather than chasing some dude around they probably already know about.

By 8:00 there were at least 15 boats fishing the shoreline so I felt very fortunate to catch a few Reds and some dink Trout on a topwater plug.

So......a not so gentle reaffirmation of why I never, never, ever go fishing on a holiday weekend.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton