Tips on navigating Talquin safely?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kg535

Tips on navigating Talquin safely?

Post by kg535 »

New to Tallahassee area and took my boat out to Talquin for the first time this weekend. Is the main lake generally safe to run? Have seen some older stuff about timber in the lake, and of course saw some log tops breaking the surface on my trip. Ended up being checked by a game warden at the boat ramp who, when I told him I was new to the lake, almost seemed shocked that I made it out in one piece.

I launched at Vause and likely am going to stick to that ramp for future trips. Any general tips on navigating the lake safely? One of the older comments I saw on here was that on Talquin it's a matter of when, not if. But I'm only in Tallahassee a couple years and hope to avoid that fate.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Tips on navigating Talquin safely?

Post by Steve Stinson »

My son fishes Talquin all the time and he has found that the Navionics phone ap is a big help. You need to stay in the river and creek channels if you aren't familiar with the lake. The ap will show you where these are if they are not marked on your GPS.

If you have Google Earth on your computer you will find a clock symbol on the upper left corner of the screen. This lets you go back in time to earlier versions of their aerial photography. If you go back in time to one of the drawdowns of Lake Talquin, you can learn a lot about where to navigate and also where to fish.

Hope this helps. Talquin gets a lot of pressure and can be tough.

- Steve Stinson
Budds

Re: Tips on navigating Talquin safely?

Post by Budds »

Talquin is challenging to say the least.
Have fished it for 30 years now, and still find things to break a prop on.
Last break was in an area I knew was "safe" early last year..... 30 ft of water, have run thru there a hundred times or better.
Seems the timber moves around !
I've seen logs move 50 to 100 ft from where I've known them to be stationary for years.
It's always a Crappie shoot !
Anyways......

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk