Alligator Point/Panacea pointers

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dustin4185

Alligator Point/Panacea pointers

Post by Dustin4185 »

We are headed down to Alligator Point next week for fall break. We have been going to Cape San Blas for the last couple of years and it has gotten soooo expensive and crowded compared to what it used to be.

We usually take the kayaks with us and my son and I enjoy fishing in the bays. Being from east TN, saltwater fishing is a novelty for us. We did pretty good last year in St. Joe bay catching limits of trout and reds each day.

I’m having trouble finding good access points close to cover/good fishing ground looking at Google Earth if I need to fish the same type of areas. We fished grass flats with open pockets last year. I have read about oyster bars and mud flats around that area. Are these more productive? Any particular baits we need to use? Prefer artificial baits due to being in a yak with limited space. Are there any decent bait shops in Panacea to get supplies if needed or is Bass Pro in Tallahassee my best bet?

Any pointers for baits and access areas in that area would be great. Thanks!
geofish

Re: Alligator Point/Panacea pointers

Post by geofish »

Crum's in Panacea has all the bait & tackle you'll need

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

You can access the Bay from the ramp next to the west end of the bridge. Lots of oyster bars along that edge if you head under the bridge toward the gulf.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I've never fished in the Alligator Harbor but have been around Bald Point a pretty good bit. Like MudDucker said about the boat ramp at the bridge toward the gulf there are lots of good spots. If you have kayaks you can put them in at Bald Point or at the little boat ramp halfway down the peninsula. Crums and Rockys are close to the area and offer a good selection of bait and tackle.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

For alligator harbor, the sun and sand ramp is close to the oyster bars in the back of the harbor, but I like the area closer to the mouth. There is a large grass flat between Leonard’s landing and the mouth. Both good places to paddle. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I have heard stories about paddling into Tucker Lake as well. I wonder if you could park at the bridge and paddle around
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

To get to the kayak launch at Tucker Lake; go through the first gate on the left and follow it towards the back. There will be a dirt road on the right before you get to the bridge where it dead ends.

Check your tides so your not fighting the current.

The creek eventually runs out into the bay which can also provide some worthy fishing.

Also, I would check out Bottoms Road in Panacea; some good fishy areas around that way in towards Dickerson Bay.

Tight Lines.
Dustin4185

Post by Dustin4185 »

Thanks!
Dustin4185

Post by Dustin4185 »

Red Beard wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:00 pm To get to the kayak launch at Tucker Lake; go through the first gate on the left and follow it towards the back. There will be a dirt road on the right before you get to the bridge where it dead ends.

Check your tides so your not fighting the current.

The creek eventually runs out into the bay which can also provide some worthy fishing.

Also, I would check out Bottoms Road in Panacea; some good fishy areas around that way in towards Dickerson Bay.

Tight Lines.
Is Tucker lake salt, fresh, or brackish water? What species reside there?
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Dustin..

Tucker Lake is more Salt than anything. I am certain during different times and tides there can be more or less freshwater influx.

Redfish, Trout, Flounder, and Sheepshead can all be caught there.

Watch for gators.
Tight Lines
Dustin4185

Post by Dustin4185 »

Red Beard wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:32 pm Dustin..

Tucker Lake is more Salt than anything. I am certain during different times and tides there can be more or less freshwater influx.

Redfish, Trout, Flounder, and Sheepshead can all be caught there.

Watch for gators.
Tight Lines
Thanks! Hopefully we can figure it out. Being from the hills and hollers of east TN, we don’t much care for Gators, especially the football plying ones, lol.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I just want to see my son hook up with some this year. Last year he had a blast catching reds and trout and the occasional puffer in St Joe bay.
dirtroad

Post by dirtroad »

Word of advise: never capitalize the word gator.
:D
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m interested in hearing the Tucker Lake report.
Dustin4185

Post by Dustin4185 »

dirtroad wrote: October 7th, 2022, 10:28 am Word of advise: never capitalize the word gator.
:lol: :lol: I’ll remember that!
Dustin4185

Post by Dustin4185 »

Well, the week has came to an end. We were able to spend three good mornings fishing since we still need to spend time with the family as well. We put in at Sun N Sand ramp two days. We went towards the west the first day and do any good. The next day we went to the oyster bars to the east and caught several small reds and trout. Caught one red that was 29” right as we were about to leave!

Spent this morning on Tucker Lake/Chaires Creek. The wind was bad and the tide was going out so it was tough fishing. My son caught a trout and I caught a small red. We had several more hook ups, but they didn’t make it to the kayak. We needed to get back and get the kayaks washed down, and the kayak trailer packed back up for the trip home.

We will definitely ring the kayaks next time if I don’t decide to bring the Jon boat, lol.

Question: Does Chaires creek always flow toward the bay? Or is it tidal and flow back to the lake?

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. We are least tightened some lines!