Carrabelle Fishing Tips

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

gumby

Carrabelle Fishing Tips

Post by gumby »

Hi guys,

New to the forum and new to fishing the Carrabelle area. I've got a 230 Everglades and would appreciate any tips for inshore and offshore areas to fish.

I've read some good tips about the Lanark area, backside of Dog Island, and backside of SGI for trout and reds. What should I be looking for and what is the recommended setup (typically I've used shrimp under a popping cork or shrimp on a red jig). I'll probably try to take my two boys out this weekend and see what we can figure out.

I ran about 25 NM off of East Pass a couple weeks ago, it picked up pretty good so we came back in with little time to fish. I was going to troll and look for some decent bottom and drop some live bait or slow pitch jigs and see what we could stir up. Haven't had a chance to run back off since. Any advice?

I appreciate any help in advance and glad to be a part of the community. Thanks again!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Carrabelle Fishing Tips

Post by Steve Stinson »

As you are probably noticing from all the replies to your post, the offshore guys aren't big on sharing their spots. :D

I am an inshore fisherman, but I can tell you that as it gets colder you need to go offshore and troll with Mann's Stretch plugs or something similar. Watch your bottom machine as you troll and mark likely looking spots. The grouper will come in closer as it gets colder.

If you talk to some of the locals over there you may be able to get good general areas to check.

The inshore fish will mostly be on the flats until we get three straight days of cold weather in the 30's or so, then some of them will head up river due to the warmer water.

Hope this helps and sorry I am not much help in the offshore realm.

- Steve Stinson
satsuma

Post by satsuma »

gumby wrote: October 17th, 2022, 2:05 pm Hi guys,

New to the forum and new to fishing the Carrabelle area. I've got a 230 Everglades and would appreciate any tips for inshore and offshore areas to fish.

I've read some good tips about the Lanark area, backside of Dog Island, and backside of SGI for trout and reds. What should I be looking for and what is the recommended setup (typically I've used shrimp under a popping cork or shrimp on a red jig). I'll probably try to take my two boys out this weekend and see what we can figure out.

I ran about 25 NM off of East Pass a couple weeks ago, it picked up pretty good so we came back in with little time to fish. I was going to troll and look for some decent bottom and drop some live bait or slow pitch jigs and see what we could stir up. Haven't had a chance to run back off since. Any advice?

I appreciate any help in advance and glad to be a part of the community. Thanks again!
It ought to be a good time to take a bunch of live shrimp to the nearshore public reefs for some grunts and sea biscuits. That'll keep the kids happy. Grunts fight good on bass tackle.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

All of the public reefs, K-Towers, DZ Reefs, will provide fish on the bottom.
All photos copyright @saverymill
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thank you for the responses guys!

We're going out on Friday to give it a try- will report back.
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Here is the web page for the Franklin county public reefs
https://www.floridagofishing.com/reefs/ ... ounty.html

You may want to check out the waypoints listed on the forum @
https://www.bigbendfishing.net/information/area-charts/