Sheepshead

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Geno67

Sheepshead

Post by Geno67 »

Where to find this time of year coming from Tallahassee?
TheReelPapaSquat

Re: Sheepshead

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Lake Talquin :-D
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

We have caught a few on the buoy line out of Apalachicola.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Speaking of Sheepshead, I was FlyFishing up a creek yesterday. Was anchored up on a wide oyster bar with a drop off on the edge. Was fishing out of the boat using sink tip fly line and a gold spoon. It’s a place where I’ve caught a bunch of Reds. Anyway, after about 15 minutes of thorough fishing I hooked a solid fish which I thought was a Red. When I got a look at it I could see that it was a nice Sheepshead. The second one I’ve hooked on a spoon fly (the other one was caught while I was wade fishing and got off when I tried to Boka grab it as I didn’t have a net). Yesterday’s fish fought well and I knew I had him good. I stepped down to grab the net and was already daydreaming about pictures and dinner. I stepped back up to the deck and continued the fight. All of a sudden he came off and I was standing there without this fine Sheepshead.

Sheepishly (pun intended) I started casting again and after about 10 casts decided to switch to a white jig style fly that I’ve done well with for Reds. Got my Dupre’s spoonfly back to hand and found the hook had broken in half. Not sure how old the fly was as they are durable and I’ve been buying them, using them and replenishing them for a good 5+ years.

One of these days I’m going to post a picture of one that I’ve landed and eaten.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

It was hard luck to lose a good fish, especially to a broken hook.
Friends laughed at me for replacing all my lure hooks, especially the single ones and replacing the "popular" flies in my box, every year.
Very funny, but I never lost a fish due to faulty hooks.