Johnson Splinter Spoons

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Johnson Splinter Spoons

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’d like to hear any fishing stories involving these, and if they’re actually called something else I’d like to know that to lol! It looks like “splinter” might just be what Johnson call their version of this spoon that I knew nothing about until I got some through an abandoned tackle box acquisition recently. I can’t find much else unless I leave out the splinter part. The ones I have are some other brand with no stamp or anything.

I’ve learned since the thread in the fishing reports section that this is the kind of spoon that I was talking about. I never really like the normal spinning or fluttering spoons. If I want to fish like that I usually just grab a good in-line spinner. These have my attention though, so much so that I have a little homemade something in mind with them that I was talking about in that other thread. If these can do what I think they’ll do, I’ll be keeping 1 for fishing and 1 as a part of my homemade rig from now on.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Johnson Splinter Spoons

Post by fishinfool »

I did a Google search for Johnson Spoons and found this: https://www.fishusa.com/johnson-splinter-spoons/
It looks like the "Kastmaster" spoon that I remember from days gone by. They are quite productive for Spanish.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have heard them called casting spoons and the Kastmaster was the brand we used for spanish. Just flutters when you stop reeling and spanish attack
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Might as well dump a mini fishing report here. I haven’t tinkered and finished with my planned homemade thing yet but I did stomp away so mad from something else that on the way out I grabbed a fishing pole and left. I went to my secret Specks hole that I’ve talked about before and low and behold I pulled out a bass from the bank. I also caught a good stumpknocker and had some other bream strikes. And stuff was striking and flopping like it was spring time. I imagine that’s about to change with the weather that’s coming but I can say managed that 1 afternoon.
J Holden

Post by J Holden »

Spoons catch the hell out of freshwater fish. They're just not super popular for FW anymore.

1/16 and 1/8 oz weedless Johnson silver minnow will wreck bluegill and small bass. A black Johnson silver minnow with a pork rind was king of the pads for bass back before hollow body frogs.

Daiwa makes a small 3g and 4g Krocodile style spoon with a single hook called the Crusader, big bluegill can't leave it alone.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

J Holden wrote: December 19th, 2022, 4:39 am Spoons catch the hell out of freshwater fish. They're just not super popular for FW anymore.

1/16 and 1/8 oz weedless Johnson silver minnow will wreck bluegill and small bass. A black Johnson silver minnow with a pork rind was king of the pads for bass back before hollow body frogs.

Daiwa makes a small 3g and 4g Krocodile style spoon with a single hook called the Crusader, big bluegill can't leave it alone.
Good stuff. You could probably wear out Specks with them to.