Info on Cedar Key/Manatee Springs

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DriftingSun

Info on Cedar Key/Manatee Springs

Post by DriftingSun »

Have a camping trip scheduled for late May to Manatee Springs State park. Planning on pulling the boat down to also fish (24 ft hybrid bay boat). Was wondering if anyone might have some intel on best place/options of where to park the truck and trailer/boat (3 nights), as well as options for launch sites in the area. Was thinking a Cedar Key area launch may be best? I’ve never spent any time in this area so any tips would be greatly appreciated, including any general advice on flats/near shore/sand bar options.

Was hoping the State Park may have a spot to park the boat near the campsite (staying in a 5th wheel)

Thanks in advance for any and all help :beer:
ropeman

Re: Info on Cedar Key/Manatee Springs

Post by ropeman »

Manatee Springs is a great spot to kayak and watch Manatees, but no ramp close by to launch a boat. There is a big parking lot near the spring where I've parked my boat in the past. It's about 35 miles to Cedar Key and that is the best spot for fishing in the area. Late May is pretty good for fishing, the water temps won't be too hot yet. The boat ramp downtown next to the fishing pier is the best spot to launch a 24' boat.

Check out this old thread for more info.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44891

Here's a report about fishing in May. I'm sure the report will be close to the same this year depending on the weather.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45249