I demand more fishing posts!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

:smt021 :smt021 :smt021 :bang_1 :bang_1 :bang_1

I’m ready for spring and summer! I finished my upper Aucilla paddling trip last summer, then did pretty good with my mullet fishing towards the end. I’ve since been treated to a cold day trip to Lake Miccosukee, and I’ve been fishing a whopping 2 times off the bank.

The Wacissa is next. I’ve been up and down most of it already, but I’ve never been to Half Mile Rise from the Wacissa. I’ve also never been up Cow Creek as far as you can go. It’s big enough that it counts as having to cover to say you’ve been down the whole river IMO. There’s also the Western Sloughs/Hell’s Half Acre but I don’t think that counts as a mandatory paddle. There are enough places in it you can check out on land, and some of them are about as far apart as the places on the Aucilla in Middle Aucilla. And some of it is just plain swamp.

So...when you hang that right off of 98 to go to the easier spots there in the sloughs, you then hang a left. The right you can take is always open but it gets rough pretty soon after you turn. Has anybody ever been all the way down it to the river? If it’s not a terrible drive when it’s dry or not a terrible walk, I think I want to start there instead of Goose Pasture. Even if it was 100 years ago I want to hear about it. I have kayak now btw. If I can’t get my boat down there I can still carry the kayak. The kayak was an idea anyway because the trip to Half Mile rise could tear up an aluminum boat big time from what I’ve seen the 2 times I’ve creeped into that channel.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: I demand more fishing posts!

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:smt012 I probably won't go till late march. But I'll be posting up then. I'm with you, seems like there is only a fraction of posts now compared to years past. :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Heck the photo of the week has been the same for 3 years. It's my wife's deer so I'm ok with it :-D
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

LOL I always go on March 24 for the first time because that was Mommy’s birthday. Then I go once a weekish until about May. Then my work slows down and I go 3 times a week as many people here already know hee hee.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

BloodyChamp wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 3:06 pm LOL I always go on March 24 for the first time because that was Mommy’s birthday. Then I go once a weekish until about May. Then my work slows down and I go 3 times a week as many people here already know hee hee.
Dang must be nice to go that often. A lot for me is twice in a month. :smt011
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

It’s great :-D :-D :-D
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

I would post more, but I never figured out how to post pictures.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Well here's today's report for me. Super windy, super low tide, but the East River gave up a few nice ones. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Dang str8
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Well fished iamonia this am with my boy, wind was more than they predicted, they said 5mph, more like 10, but fish seemed to like it, caught 4 bass on first hr or so, then wasted some time and the bite quit. Finish 5 bass one big mud fish , not to bad for about 3 hrs , on water around 730-8, left at just before 11, only about half dozen other boats out fishing for specks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I wanted to fish this past weekend but it was too cold and windy. Maybe next weekend.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Speaking of the wind I forgot 1 more time I made it fishing since summer, making the grand total 4 times. I went down to Goose Pasture which isn’t the best bank fishing right. I’d been to the Aucilla and caught nothing so I went to Goose Pasture just to take a look. The wind was wild and I threw my lure out and the wind caught it and flung it way way out there. That was the reason I then reeled in a nice Bass lol! It was almost impossible not to catch 1 as far as the wind flung it.

If I get to go before my no matter what planned first day March 24 I’m thinking about trying for Redfish or Trout. It’s the first time in a long time that they’re reachable without having to go so far out.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Man, that fog was a killer last week! I went out a few times and got a few trout each day around oyster bars. Then, this weekend, I loaded up the Seaark and went to my sister’s new condo in Crystal River. The f’n tide was at such an extreme low on Sat I couldn’t get the boat off her lift. Took it off early Sunday and went exploring during the day and while we saw some incredible wildlife, not much fishing was done though my brother in-law caught about a 1/2 dozen lady fish in 20 minutes off of a ledge extending from a small island.

Yesterday wade fished at St. George and picked up a couple Reds on spoon flies and my buddy got a few on spoons using the spin rod.

So not fast and furious but am hoping to get into some today with the excellent tides.
FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Went out yesterday and searched for fish in and out of the boat. Wind calmed while I was wading around an oyster bar and I stuck on a White Gurgler and immediately started catching Specs. Landed 3 that were 18” and had a number of other hits including a small trout coming all the way out of the water for the fly and another hitting it as soon as it landed. Cleaned them up and baited the Pinfish traps for a buddy. Will let you know if there are any Pins in the canal.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Apologies for not sharing more… try to not be the guy posting fishing pictures while everyone is at work.

Fishing has been in the same pattern for over a month. Just wax and waning with these fronts coming and going. One minute they are fired up and the next your grinding for a limit. Some days it’s all artificial and the next nothing but live shrimp.

This winter has been top shelf fishing, clients are catching personal best just to set a new best a few cast later. Got to witness a 38” red eat a 15”-16” trout as a client was reeling the fish to the boat. Client said, “this red fish is trying to eat my trout what do I do?” My response was, “Let him eat it.”, and boom upgrade complete. Lol

Water temps are holding in the 58-64 degree marks, falling or rising depending on the tides. Pollen is falling already and it won’t be long until spring has sprung and the whole game changes.

I’ll drop some hits below..tight lines and safe boating.