Fishing Story…but this one has heart

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

During a semi-recent charter with clients from Wisconsin, there was a moment. A moment where Rick and Kayla (grandfather & granddaughter) are catching fish together. Granddaughter being a new college student, and Rick, an experienced angler.

!Image

If I can set the scene: charter booked, I have a game plan set and we carry on, I’d say it was cold/windy, but apparently Wisconsin folks are used to it. Fishing has been good all week…well Mother Nature sees differently and turns our trip into a grind fest. We are throwing the tackle box at it.. little to nothing worth a picture. Crew remained positive and enjoyed the sights, and time spent on the water.

Fast forward almost four hours, and here we are… bottom of the ninth… no bases loaded, full count, two outs.. sun starting to set.. golden hour. Lock down on the last spot and we proceed to fish. Boom! Cast after cast we are getting tight, crew is having a ball with trout. As we keep fishing and smiles are had… reds show up.

Granddaughter is introduced to her first red, drag whines.. lands the fish. Says, “my arms are tired, and my knees are shaking” said, “these redfish fight harder than our fish”. I told her she was just cold, and too proud to admit it.

I laugh and we keep fishing… trip is running way over the scheduled time. But I pay no mind; knowing we are on something special. Trout and lady fish continue being caught, spirits are running high….

This is the moment where Rick says, “I have a trout and this red is chasing, what do I do?” Trout at this point is a large topwater, being horsed back to the boat.

I reply… “let’em eat it”

Drag screams… good bye 15-16” trout.. hello 36” red; instant upgrade.

Fishing continues for a minute or so after release and… Boom! Kayla is tight on another and she hasn’t gained her strength from the last fish.

Grandpa Is there coaching her through the fight and keeping her from slacking off. She beats her recent personal best/first red within a couple cast.

Not long after we end our trip and head back in.

Looking back, I hope this is a memory made that may be reflected on as time well spent for this family. A moment they may have together for a lifetime. As a kid who was introduced to fishing by by grandfathers; It brought up memories I have with mine. I still to this day tie the exact knot I was first taught twenty five years ago, by my “Papaw Carl”

…... what is a memory you have fishing with your grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, siblings, or a moment that you cherish fishing?

My “Papaw Carl on our last fishing trip we would have together; Dale Hollow Lake, TN.
Watching the Rainbow as the spring rain fell.

Tight lines.. and tighter knots
rockyg

Re: Fishing Story…but this one has heart

Post by rockyg »

Great story and pics RB. Really enjoyed it. I miss fishing with my Dad too.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I fished with my dad a bunch growing up, mostly from the bank in farm ponds, we never fished the flats together until 2020, it was his first trip down since the 80s. Now that he's retired I hope will go again soon, especially now that I have a little bit bigger boat.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

Awesome story and pictures Red Beard. Thanks for posting.
My Dad wasn't much of a fisherman but I have lots of memories of me and my older brother fishing together.
Great times.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Great post and pics. Kudos on giving them extra time, I'm sure most guides would not. :thumbup:
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Great story! We went fishing with my girlfriends Dad on Saturday who is 78 and ran his long tail mud motor for about 3 hours in super skinny water to get us a limit of reds. Some new memories are even better than the old ones!

I would post pics, but I forgot how!
Last edited by ropeman on February 22nd, 2023, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Hit-n-Miss wrote::-D Great post and pics. Kudos on giving them extra time, I'm sure most guides would not. :thumbup:
Almost all my clients get some extra time. After a trip in PCB where I was dropped off 36 minutes early, fish thrown on the dock, and left with no way to clean fish as he drove off. I promised to never “Be that Guy”, but that’s another post and another story. Lol

Thank you everyone for sharing.. love to see it.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Doom…

Why you gonna go and post a puffer fish knowing dang well spring is about to unleash a furry of rabbit fish to ruin a good time.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Red Beard wrote:Doom…

Why you gonna go and post a puffer fish knowing dang well spring is about to unleash a furry of rabbit fish to ruin a good time.
I would say it was because I didn't catch one in 22 but then I remember how many dark sleepers they wrecked in 22. It was the first fish my dad caught on the trip and the only one of the day so hopefully we'll have good vibes in 23 and keep the puffers away.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Red Beard wrote: February 21st, 2023, 5:23 pm
Hit-n-Miss wrote::-D Great post and pics. Kudos on giving them extra time, I'm sure most guides would not. :thumbup:
Almost all my clients get some extra time. After a trip in PCB where I was dropped off 36 minutes early, fish thrown on the dock, and left with no way to clean fish as he drove off. I promised to never “Be that Guy”, but that’s another post and another story. Lol

Thank you everyone for sharing.. love to see it.
Wow I can't imagine how I would react to a guide doing that... :o I'm glad you decided to not be that guy. And I'm sure your happy clients are too. :-D :thumbup: Great story. (Would love to here that story though :wink:)
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Wow that is good stuff. You’ll get paid back for that as a guide 100 times over in addition to the fulfillment you have from just plain doing the right thing. Over the last couple of years service everywhere has just gone to heck. The company that bought out Super Lube is purposely ripping people off. So you go to a mechanic and all they’re doing is waiting on beer 30. Then up at the bank they change their rules without telling you while you’re paying on your loan the whole time, without missing a payment. Then when you ask what’s going on from the service station to the bank the answer is just duuuuuuuurrrrrrr that’s the rules diuuuuuuurrrr you can’t do that. I’ll neither confirm or deny that those are recent examples I’ve been through personally lol!

I have more memories fishing with my Grandfather than I could ever list. We went down the Wacissa River almost every week in the spring and summer. Then we had a few other secret spots.

I also have many improbable stories of catching fish the way they did at the end. I’ve shared many of them here. I’ll have to see if I can think of 1 I haven’t shared.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Nice fish and story. Good on you. My condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

Heard a song the other day. "They call me Doc" by Aaron Lewis. Instantly thought of you. It was written through the
Creativets program helping veterans use music as a form of therapy. This particular veteran was a Navy Corpsman during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Thanks for your service young man.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

SlowMotion.. I’ll have to check that out. Have not heard it before; familiar with Aaron Lewis though.

Hope your doing well.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Awesome pics and such a great read, thanks for sharing it with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk