JEW FISH TRIP CIRCA 1960

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

JEW FISH TRIP CIRCA 1960

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

A photo I took of some friends on one of our typical JEW FISH trips. This one was out of Cocodrie Louisiana ( I believe). We chartered a shrimp boat. There were eight of us on the trip. We usually paid ten dollars a man for an all day trip. Louis Cuccia,Fred Wurst, Frank Grey Joey Albanese, and Jay Albanese and in the photo. Those are not the only fish we shot that day under the oil rigs. I don't remember where they got the dumb hats. The jackets they were wearing were our club jackets. The Bajaos Diving club, New Orleans La.
Attachments
jewfish.JPG
jewfish.JPG (37.83 KiB) Viewed 14649 times
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: JEW FISH TRIP CIRCA 1960

Post by DixieReb »

Good Lawd those are some big fish!! They look like giant largemouth bass!
Yours in the South
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Looks like all of you were having fun. I'd call that a BIG fishing trip!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
bman

Post by bman »

Very cool photo.. do you remember how they tasted?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
2true

Post by 2true »

Hey Capt Charlie! You gave me and my buddy a ride in your boat years ago. I will never forget the Lake Pontchartrain Mullet Story! :smt006
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

bman wrote:Very cool photo.. do you remember how they tasted?
I'm curious as well especially given their size, I know some people talk about various fish being good at certain sizes but then getting grainy, mushy etc. in larger sizes. I guess unless regulations change most of us will never get to find it.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

Hey guys,

Sorry it so long to reply. Yes indeed, we ate the hell out of Jew Fish, no mattter the size. We would cross cut them with a hand saw, and big knives. Then cut the skin and scales from around the large steak which was cut about six inches thick. It's great, firm white meat just like grouper. You could eat it any way you like. Baked, fried, blackened..etc. Each steak was about 20" across and weighed about 20 pounds or less. One problem was disposing of the heads once you were ashore.

One night we were tied up to a non-working rig and Roland Riviere had shot one we knew was over 500 pounds. It was tied to the boat and we were going to keep it in the water till we were finished diving the next day, Sunday which was the final day of the tournament. All night we heard what we thought was the fish hitting the hull of the boat. The next morning we found out all that was left was the head. Sharks had eaten a late night snack. When we got back to the weigh master the head weighed 220 pounds. There are many interesting stories to be told about back in the day when diving was new, there was no certification and gear was very basic. Most all the guns we used on big fish were homemade. No power heads or bang sticks

Below is a picture of that fish and Roland Riviere, and to his left is Roy Smith who was also on the trip.

Cap'n. Charlie
Attachments
head.JPG
head.JPG (34.55 KiB) Viewed 14195 times
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Wow, you could make a lot of fish-head stew with one that size! I remember when those were legal to keep, the local paper showed a man standing next to a 765 lb. one he caught from PC.
Yours in the South
Outdoorsnole

Post by Outdoorsnole »

Awesome pictures. I bet the stories are even better. This made me think of Helldiver's rodeo and the stories of spearing huge fish while wearing football pads and being drug around through the rig.
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

The HELLDIVERS was one of the clubs back in the 60s. There was, DIXIE DIVERS, SEA SCAMPS, SEA DEVILS, BAJAOS, and some I cant remember. The competition between the clubs was a year long event. From New Years Eve to 364 days later to New years day. There were about fifteen categories of fish , first, second, and third places. If someone came in with a qualifying fish the guy in third place was knocked off the board. It was a good conservation measure. For instance, if you saw a red snapper, and you knew the smallest snapper on the board at third place was lets say 22 pounds. If you didn't think it was bigger you didn't shoot it.

The leader board was displayed at Roland's Sporting Goods on Rampart St. In New Orleans. Roland's was where local and out of town divers congregated to share stories, check out the leader board and tell lies.

Usually in February or March we would have our annual banquet. All of the clubs attended with wives, and husbands of lady divers. usually over a hundred people. There was a King-fisherman, and a Queen-fisherman who accumulated the most points usually composed of several categories of fish. We usually had a live band, lots of eating and drinking and dancing. After, it was New Orleans. Each club usually put on a crazy skit of some sort. Then the trophies were awarded. First second and third place trophies in about fifteen categories of fish. It was a wonderful time for diving, and for me.

You know, I rarely think back and reminisce about those days. Most of the guys from that era are gone. But when I do think back those memories come back as vivid as if it was yesterday. So thank you for causing me to write about and think about those days and the diving trips that were such a large part of my life.

Charlie
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Capt, I know a little of what you speak. Those memories include fish, fisherman, and lessons learned. These days, it seems that "Makin Memories" have almost ground to halt! Good luck to you, calm seas, & tight tines.

I'm still hoping to find a fella who wants to catch some nice off of Indian Pass...... seems that ain't gonna happen! Sure is plenty of nice bottom out on Cape San Blas & east towards Carrabelle. Minus any headboats for 20yrs, there must be plenty of good fishin from 45-220ft, with all that habitat (#s) and little pressure.
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I love the old pictures and stories. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Rok

Post by Rok »

Old article, but I remember it very well I’ve been in hell divers for 35 years I bought my second Bendomatic at Roland Riveres shop,When I was only 19 years old. Back in those days please also use Jap knives, because they could cut cable.

Capt. Louis “Rok” Rossignol Venice Guide Service (504) 481-7529 www.VeniceGuideService.com TAKE A KID FISHING!!!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Wow... I hadn't seen this post. those things are huge! Never caught any that size but caught a lot of smaller ones back in the 60's. Always gave em away because they were almost always full of flutes (worms).

P.S. We can't say "Jew" fish or "Jap" knives any more. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/