Scallop Scouting

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FSUDiver

Scallop Scouting

Post by FSUDiver »

Just wanted to see if anyone has done any scallop scouting lately since the season is opening up tomorrow. Anyone know if they are thick around St. Marks like last year?

I'll be out there in a yak tomorrow, i'll write a report of my findings.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Re: Scallop Scouting

Post by Tom Keels »

Should be just as thick as last year.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

We went scallop scouting today. We didn't see anything except for the one hundred year's storm. We didn't even see the bow of the boat for about 15 minutes. Heart rate was approx 180 beats/min. We read the weather forecast, and promptly ignored it.

Before heading out in a yak tomorrow, read the weather report. We were 100 yards from the lighthouse, but much closer to death itself.

We'll try again tomorrow, but if I see so much as a stratus cloud at 60000 feet, I'm taking it to the ranch.

In other news, we probably could have skipped the scouting. All signs indicate that scallops are out there in mass. However, they could be harder to find after mother nature stirred her pot today!

Good luck!

By the way, all of the other boats heading in to beat the storm today must have thought I was crazy to head out with those wall clouds on my tail. They were right! :thumbup:
Work 'em silly Gators!!
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Typical Gator doing everything bass-ackwords. :smt005 :beer:
FSUDiver

Post by FSUDiver »

cool, it sounds like this might be another good year. I am watching the weather like a hawk right now, 5-10 knots for tomorrow, but we all know what happens when a storm blows in...
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I heard there wasn't a single one spotted near Keaton this year. They have all migrated towards St. Marks.
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

chugbug wrote:I heard there wasn't a single one spotted near Keaton this year. They have all migrated towards St. Marks.
I heard it is because they went 10 miles East to the Steinhatchee beds... :-D
[as dropship enters atmosphere] "We're in the pipe, five by five."
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

The scallops were thick in St Marks last Saturday and there were several large ones. The grass makes them hard to find, but if you know how to look you can catch them quick. I didn't go all the way to Grey Mare Rock and 4 adults and 1 child got our limit in 4 hours. I was finding more than anyone else so I probably got half the limit myself.

I heard they are limiting the number of boats at the St Marks Lighthouse ramp to 90. Does anybody know how early I have to get there to get in?

Happy hunting!
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

The gate opens at 6 am. You probably shouldn't get down there any later than 7 on a weekend.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

Anyone seen any scallops West of St Marks? I spent a week down at St Teresa recently and couldn't find a one on Turkey POint or the DI Reef. As thick as they used to be there, it was relatively disappointing. Has anyone else had different results in those areas?
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

OK, scallop season is getting close again. Has anyone looked around while fishing to see this year?