Tips for fogging mask?

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Tips for fogging mask?

Post by Atticus »

Went scalloping during the week and my mask was fine. Decided to clean it up with the stuff from the dive shop and it was fogging constantly this weekend. Any tips from the pros here? This has to be a common problem right?
Bailey

Re: Tips for fogging mask?

Post by Bailey »

Toothpaste!

Bailey :beer:
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

Luke,
there is a film on the masks when you purchase it, Richard at Coral Reef recommends using toothpaste to clean initially. I then use Spit to keep it from fogging. Worked well in the islands and while scalloping this weekend.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Scrub it with toothpaste.

Put in defog paste (not drops) and let it dry. 500 fathoms is the kind I use.

Rinse, repeat.

Before the first dive, defog again, let dry to a haze, then wash. Between dives use spit.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

kikstand454

Post by kikstand454 »

yup.......... this is all the same advice id give. i dont dive... but its the same thing you do when your paintball mask fogs. *shrug*
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

rainX makes an anti fog liquid that works for sunglasses (with glass lenses)..would that work?
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Get a frog and wipe it on the glass inside and out if it works let me know I have never heard of anybody trying it before and I wonder if it will work.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

I put shaving cream (foam) on glass and mirrors to keep them from fogging up. I've never put it on a diving mask though......just my $.02 but the other suggestions seem to be the ticket :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Barhopr wrote:rainX makes an anti fog liquid that works for sunglasses (with glass lenses)..would that work?
Nope, and you should never try it. The rainx will burn your eyes and destroy the silicone of the mask.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

What a mess

Post by What a mess »

What about the frog?
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

For the toothpaste trick, that's to remove residue from the release agent used in molding the skirt. Use plain old white toothpaste (Crest, Colgate, etc.) you want the scrubbing action of the very mild abrasive in this toothpaste.

Sunscreen on a mask lens will cause fogging. So will just about anything else. Baby shampoo works real well for cleaning lenses. I use liquid dish soap.

A mask lens must be clean and dry for anti-fogging products to work. Just apply the anti-fog to a clean dry lens. Smear it around so that all the lens is covered, and rinse. Don't over rinse, you don't want to wash this stuff off.

Once a mask is treated for the day you want to keep it wet. If the lens partially dries before you go back in, you will have fogging problems unless you get the whole thing dry and start over. If you come back to the boat and are going back in, just throw it in a bucket of water.

For anti-fog I just use my own spit. I can send you a bottle if you want.
divindawg

Post by divindawg »

We do about 100 dives a year and the best no-fog stuff we have found is baby shampoo. It will not burn your eyes and it is great for keeping the fog away. Wet your mask, take a tiny drop of shampoo on the tip of your finger and rub it on the lens. You will see the layer on there. Slosh the mask around in water, look to make sure you can't see the shampoo rubbed on the lens and go dive. I use it before each dive.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Divindawg, any particular baby shampoo and/or will Wally world generic type work just as well?
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

big bend gyrene wrote:Divindawg, any particular baby shampoo and/or will Wally world generic type work just as well?
So BBG I guess you are saying that your baby girl gets the generic stuff huh?? :lol:
Team Jolly Mon
divindawg

Post by divindawg »

We use the generic version of Johnson and Johnson. The kind that looks like honey.