Sharks

This area is for discussing all aspects of diving and spearfishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rocket
Site Sponsor

Re: Sharks

Post by rocket »

You know what they say ablut the :-D water's edge
Stay Thirsty My Friends
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Manthony wrote:I've heard about a Tiger patrolling the ledges out off Carrabelle for awhile now. Several divers and a few fishermen have talked about seeing a good size Tiger shark out there. A few also saying they were chased out of the water by it. I hear the diving and fishing are great over there on the ledges, but I have not made it there yet and starting to wonder if I want to dive it if there is a territorial shark in the area.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.
This one is no longer patrolling any ledge :roll:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

I've been diving this area for about 10 years and have not had but a few encounters. We dropped on a 8' tiger with eyes the size larger than golf balls. A quick poke with the speargun and he vanished. The larger the structure the more likely to see them. Turtle towers off DI usually has two bulls on it. The towers, barges, wakulla culvers, bryson will always have sharks. We go to the keys twice a year and it almost a guarantee that when you shoot the bulls with show up, kinda like the dinner bell. They have been trained. Better stone the fish or get back. We were drift diving the reef dropoff in the keys last year and looked over and a 12' hammer was swimming parralel about 50', that was a sight.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

I fished last Thursday and as I put in my post, we had to tend with pretty big sharks all day. My fishing partner caught a nice Nurse Shark that was in the 8-9 foot range. He was also pulling up a keeper grouper and a humungous Bull chased it up to the boat and just about got it. Another time, he was pulling a grouper and two good size bulls, looked about 6 feet each came up with the fish, kind of like they were checking it out. All of these shark encounters took place on different holes, some as far away from each other as 4 miles. It's my "uneducated" opinion that the net ban helped bring back several species of fish, including sharks.

I've only encountered sharks twice while scallping (30 plus years in the St. Marks-St. Joe Area). Once when I was about 8 or 9 and my father and I were off of St. Marks, my father jumped in the water to start and along came a big ol hammerhead straight towards him. It got about 6 feet away from him when my father slapped the water and it spooked him. Needless to say, I didn't scallop anymore that day. The second shark encounter was about 12 years ago when my wife and I were scalloping off of Lanark. I was out of the boat scalloping and she was in the boat cleaning the scallops (yep, she's a keeper....). When I came back to the boat there was a 3-4 footer hanging out under the boat. I got it to leave but was a little nervous about getting back in. A couple of downed brewskies later and the courage was back up....

I used to dive and spearfish, but I have gotten older and more of a chicken. It is what it is, as I have gotten older, my fear of sharks in the water has increased. It doesn't stop me from scalloping, but I no longer dive.

I say bring back the shark tourneys and thin em out a little. I know that's not an overly popular thought, but I think they have reached a population point in which they could use a little thinning.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

I only kill sharks when they get in the shower with me. Other than that, they have the right to eat whatever they wish. That's why I am a retired scalloper and wade fisherman
Get your mind right
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Scoop Sea wrote: The second shark encounter was about 12 years ago when my wife and I were scalloping off of Lanark. I was out of the boat scalloping and she was in the boat cleaning the scallops (yep, she's a keeper....).

Thats why we don't clean where we swim---- chumin the waters --- if'in she was discarding the guts an shells in the warter that is :D
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Redfin wrote:
Scoop Sea wrote: The second shark encounter was about 12 years ago when my wife and I were scalloping off of Lanark. I was out of the boat scalloping and she was in the boat cleaning the scallops (yep, she's a keeper....).

Thats why we don't clean where we swim---- chumin the waters --- if'in she was discarding the guts an shells in the warter that is :D

Yep, lesson learned back then. We pull "way away" from everyone and everything when we clean em on the water now.
dpaluszek

Post by dpaluszek »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:THE SHARKS HAVE BEEN INCREASING EVERY YEAR. I HAVE NOT HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH THEM THE LAST SEVERAL TIMES I HAVE BEEN FISHING. WHEN I DO HOOK ONE AND GET THEM TO THE BOAT I DISPOSE OF THEM LIKE THEY SHOULD BE, BASEBALL BAT TO THE HEAD ABOUT 3 TIMES DOES THE TRICK. THE SHARKS NEED TO BE THINNED OUT AGAIN, BACK IN THE THIRTIES THE GOVERNMENT PAID THE JAPANESE TO COME OVER AND HARVEST THE SHARKS ON BOTH COAST OF FLA THEY WERE SO BAD.
PA
SEMPER FI
I'm sorry - this response was hilarious. :lol:

Last Saturday, we caught a few smaller sharks (3 to 4 ft range) but there were quite a few in our fishing hole.
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

There were several big schools of sharks yesterday. I landed this one on light tackle.
Attachments
012.JPG
012.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 8973 times
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Had an up close and personal encounter with a 10-foot tiger today out of St. Marks. Saw one first thing this morning that seemed bigger, but it might have been the same fish. When it reappeared later, it had a tag-along: a 50-pound cobia. Couldn't get the ling interested in my Whip-It eel despite multiple casts. Did capture both on film, however. Biggest tiger I've ever seen in the area. It was hanging around one of the public reefs. Here's a link to my photo gallery on GoFishn.com:

http://www.gofishn.com/florida_captain_ ... -and-cobia
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT HAD A CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH A SHARK, YA NEED TO LISTEN TO SOMEONE WHO HAS. I WAS SURFING OFF OF JAX. BEACH BACK IN THE EARLY 50'S AND GOT KNOCKED OFF MY BOARD, THIS WAS UNUSUAL , I TURNED WHEN I CAME BACK TO THE SURFACE AND TRY TO FIND MY BOARD, ABOUT THAT TIME I HAD AN EXTREMELY BAD PAIN IN MY LEFT KNEE, IT WAS BULL SHARK , HE HAD MY WHOLE LEFT KNEE IN HIS MOUTH AND JUST GRINDING BACK AND FORTH LIKE HE WAS TRYING TO BREAK IT AWAY FROM MY LEG. ALL I COULD DO WAS POUND HIM ON THE HEAD WITH MY FIST AND HE FINALLY LET GO. I ALMOST BLED TO DEATH BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE HOSPITAL. I STILL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY LEFT LEG SWELLING FROM TIME TO TIME. THIS KIND OF ENCOUNTER WILL GREATLY CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT ANY KIND OF SHARKS. IF A SHARK GETS WITHIN STRIKING DISTANCE, THIS OLD MAN IS GONNA KILL THAT SUCKER. SORRY BUT THAT'S THE WAY IT IS AROUND THE (OLD MAN OF THE SEA)
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

silverking wrote:Had an up close and personal encounter with a 10-foot tiger today out of St. Marks. Saw one first thing this morning that seemed bigger, but it might have been the same fish. When it reappeared later, it had a tag-along: a 50-pound cobia. Couldn't get the ling interested in my Whip-It eel despite multiple casts. Did capture both on film, however. Biggest tiger I've ever seen in the area. It was hanging around one of the public reefs. Here's a link to my photo gallery on GoFishn.com:

I tried the link but couldn't get it to work. Is there any other way to get to that footage?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

See if it doesn't work now. Checked it earlier and it did. Not sure what happened.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Got it SK, cool pics. I bet it was hard to watch that cobe hanging out and not get em hooked up. Maybe next time.
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

Our last two big cobia hookups have been at the same time as big tigers moved through. We hooked the tiger the other day and played with it for a little while, then tossed back out and lost a big cobia. We've been getting ours to hit mullet and live/dead pins on the bottom.